Fly Fishing Forum banner

Playing with Tubes:)

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DBenner 
#1 ·
Hi all- thought i,d share a little of what I,ve been playing with-

Modular Tube Tying-

The vise fits any standard vise jaw-
here it is loaded with a tube- comes with three pins/mandrels to accomodate different diameter tubes-

tubes come in plastic/brass/ aluminum to cover various sink needs and can be custom made at home for creativity-

The modular part-

split patterns into fornt and rear end concepts and tie the front on a tube and the rear on a hook and mix and match-

Poppers-
two rear ends and one front end- thread your line through the front end tube-tie your line to the hook and plug the hook into the tube rear end -

and plugged in-

Same concept applied to a basic Bugeyed Nymph-

two tails /one head-

Take a think on my friend Stu Thompson<s Weedman Slider-

Stu,s original pike pattern-

and the basic front end concept on a tube-

simply tie varying bodies to the plug in hook and mix and match with the head/heads.

Will

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Waterwill,
Your informaition and pictures were most helpful. I have been wondering for some time how well these clamps work and will pick one up now. (I have been using different size flat head nails hooked into my vise jaws but its not always as secure.

I use many different types of tubes (Mostly imported from UK) but unless I fishing fast or deep waters for Steelhead I have found the 'Q tips' type cotton swabs with the plastic, not carboard, shafts work really well and you can buy a box of 300 for around $3.00.

I simply cut off the cotton ends to whatever length of tube I need.

If I am making up articulated tube flies, which I use mostly for sea runs, I slip a suitable on coloured bead between the tube and the hook to get max movement from the tail section.

One again appreciate your posting and pics.

Tight lines,
Scouter

#10 ·
Wow - right on the money, but one question

I just stumbled in her, usually I look at the Atlantic Salmon page. I just picked up an HMH tube tool so I am playing with that, then a friend drops off some of these Wapsi popper bodies (I have never used them before). Now I get into this thread, and can combine the two, very interesting.

As I mentioned, I have never used the preformed popper before, and I see the ones here are left white. If I were to paint them, what do I paint them with? The instructions say water based acrylic model paint. Do I clear coat them after? or use the Sally Hansen nail polish? Also, I am assuming that a normall model car brush would work fine (I don't have an air brush).

Can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Dwight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.