Fly Fishing Forum banner

fishing while the waters high...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  britguyinmt 
#1 ·
Hi,
just a quick question... The water level has gone up quite a bit in the last week on the river im fishing at the moment (Clarke Fork, Missoula), and its running pretty fast. Ive been mucking about a bit with nymphs and a red worm type pattern, I was just wondering if there are particular things i should be thinking about with selection of fly at this time or if trout feed much when its high and fast.
many thanks
:cool:

#2 ·
The trout will still be feeding, but the flies you throw will depend on the water clarity. If the water is high and stained, try dark nymphs or streamers.

Some of the biggest trout I have ever caught have come from within a few feet off the bank during high water, holding in a somewhat slower seam off of the main high flow. These trout can be suckers for streamers.

#3 ·
The Missoula area rivers have large populations of the so called "salmon fly", really a large stonefly with an orange belly of the Pteronarcys genus. The nymphs of these flies are large (#4) when mature and black in color. These stoneflies hatch progressively upriver from lower elevations to higher elevations. The beginning of spring runoff means these flies will begin hatching in the next few weeks.

Therefore, one of the most effective flies to use during spring runoff in your local rivers (all of them have the "salmonfly") is to toss large #4 black stonelfy imitations (Brook's Stone, Bitch Creek, Montana Stone, Kaufmann's Black Stone, etc.) on sinking or sinktip lines. Cast the fly 45 degress upstream and let it swing downstream until it is directly below you and near shore. Be ready for a fish to pick up the fly at anytime during the swing, including just as your ready to cast it back upstream again. During the 12 years I lived in Montana, I had some very fine days fishing the high, discolored water of spring runoff with large black stonefly nymphs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.