Fly Fishing Forum banner

Proposed dates for Acklins

4K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
The ideal time frame for me is the beginning of March this year. I have a surprisingly busy late winter schedule mounting already for some reason go figure.

I've done some fairly extensive tide checking and we can either have big movement at off times or small tides at ideal times of day, no workable dates with both.

I vote for big tides and work with the times of day based on the tailing mania witnessed last time, in other words no need for high sun to see them when they are pushing hard just dont step on them.

We have to gather on Friday in Nassau and we will take the same flight to Acklins Sat AM, departing together the following SAT.

I propose something in the order of March 1-8 or Feb 25t - March 4th... any takers?

(twice the tides we had last time)

5.7mb WMV File - Acklins DVD Trailer

Large file - not for dial up users. DVD is much higher quality; this trailer is reduced for web.

See less See more
#9 ·
Glad to have you Pete, just follow the thread and things should start getting very serious shortly.

Dave, Felton did not say.

How about we start by having people post their preferred dates and see if we can get enough responses to have multiple runs down there. Then we can pull dates together if needed to get the groups set up...

#14 ·
I have just learned there is some space available for 4 anglers (one unit of two) in March, depending on the week.

Maybe the best way to do this is to pitch some dates for each month - Jan, Feb, March, April. If you can make the dates and there are enough anglers, then we book it and go.

The 2005 alumni, myself and Felton, our host can provide you with everything you need to have a ridiculous bonefishing adventure.

#15 ·
I wish, oh how I wish I could come along, but with the wife due with our first kid in a few days, money for fishing trips next year is going to be limited to a short weekend trip somewhere within driving distance in the Northeast. I'll be posting about that trip within a couple of months to see if anybody else is interested...

#18 ·
I'm out....

After doing a more realistic reassessment of my financial (malpractice insurance bill, tax bill, etc) and physical situations (i.e. ability to withstand a death march across the flats), I am forced to the sad conclusion that I will not be able to do the Ridiculous this time around. I will strive to squirrel away some funds and shed the extra baggage in preparation for 2007. In the meantime, I'll just have to be contented with redfish/snook/seatrout on the cheap (hanging out at my folks' rental condo in Florida mid March) while awaiting the Spring Clave and the return of our striped friends...I hope all who do get to Acklins leave some action for those of us who can only dream. :(
Flydoc

#19 ·
gammarus said:
Do you guys have a price estimate (not including flight) worked out? I have two guys and myself here on the west coast looking for a place to fish. We were thinking May but this may be the ticket. I am the only one in our group who has experience with flats fishing.

PM on the way

#20 · (Edited)
I may be able to do May if others are going

I could probably do April or May but I am a firm beleiver in "the later the better" . IF someone would like to consider these later dates, please keep me informed.. I have previously been to Christmas Island, Grand Abaco, 2 places in Mexico and have done 6 or more trips to Belize

jackk

#21 ·
Not the case in Acklins... we could go there right now and it would be fine (weather, fishing, temps, lack of cold fronts, etc). It's so close to the equator and on the far end of the archipelago. In fact May is in the rainy season and I would avoid going there that late.

#22 · (Edited)
Ok, anyone for April?

I have always been colnfused by "the rainy season." For some time I have been going to Belize in the interval from May to Oct only to be told that is the rainy season. Yet the only bad weather I have had is terrible winds in March, and lots of clouds and rain in November. Also I have been cautioned that cold fronts can effect the fishing during the early part of the year in Belize, and at least part of the Bahamas. Is Aklins so far south , and east?, to be immune from cold fronts?

If you have a price estimate, could I get it? Thanks

#26 ·
Well the Wilmington Fly Show is March 10-12. I have a presentation at TU later in the month, the 25th; and a trip with my better half planned after that - so for me it's late February or the beginning of March in terms of avail, but I will need to re-check the tides. I had some killer tides pegged at one point but plain forgot. Day job crises drain the brain of fun thoughts.

Summary:

I can do Feb or early March. Anyone can run a trip, I don't need to be there since we have all the logistics worked out from our last visit and Felton is da MAN.

Four man trip in March works for me.

Eight man trip in February works too.

No reason not to go multiple groups this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.