Fly Fishing Forum banner

Connecticut River mouth report

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
I spent yesterday with my boss on his boat with another VP from our company. These two guys are friends from way back and were eager to get into some striper action. As luck would have it, we found plenty of fish.

As Penguin would say: They looked just like stripers, only smaller! :tongue:

The river mouth is loaded with micro to schoolie size bass, and hickory shad have also made their appearance.

Someone tell Mother Nature to warm things up! It felt like March out there. :Eyecrazy:

#2 ·
I was in the area too, but you guys did better than I did. I Started at Ocean Beach and didn't see anything there so I went to the Old Saybrook causeway. It was almost low tide and water was still flowing out but there was lots of bothersome gunk drifting around and no fish in evidence. Just when the tide bottomed out I started seeing carp :confused: . I have never seen them that close to the ocean before, but then again I never looked for them either. I tied on a worm fly (big red woolly bugger) but they didn't seem interested. After the tide started flowing back in I went to the other side of the causeway and promptly caught 2 micro stripers on an olive & white deceiver. Then I hooked something bigger that quickly headed down-current. When I put on the brakes the fish came to the top and I briefly saw a carp head break the surface. I had foul-hooked it with my deceiver and it was not about to be dragged in sideways :hihi: . After a bit of a tussle the hook finally pulled free so I never got a good measurement, but based on the size of its head I'm guessing it was in the 10-15# range. Maybe next time the stripers will be 10-15 pounders!

Q

#3 ·
Quentin, it's interesting that you would mention that about the carp. Late in the day we saw some large fish breaching just down from the mouth of the Lt River and one of the guys swore it was gold colored. We just assumed that they were larger stripers and that the sun's angle was playing tricks with the fish colors, but perhaps there were a few carp down there too. That would explain why they weren't hitting any striper flies.

Strange stuff.

#4 ·
I also stopped at the Dock n Dine and saw a carp breach while I was there. Guess they don't mind a little salt with their dinners. I've caught catfish in that part of the river too.

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.