Fly Fishing Forum banner

Light Bamboo Spey Rod

7K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  CaneRods 
#1 ·
My name is Marcelo from Argentina. I'm a fishing Rodmaker. I make bamboo rods, and you can know me better reading my Profile in the last number of Powerfibers Magazine July Issue.
ww.powerfibers.com
I designed a new concept of ferrule made with bamboo and getting a very strong transference of power and lost of weight, the 2MBFS (Mini Metal Bamboo Ferrule System).
Because of that I'm trying to design a Light Spey rod for fishing Tierra del Fuego rivers and Rio Gallegos for Sea Runs. I know that this is not the object of this forum, but I need help. Can anybody send me some Light Spey rod s tapers to compare and design my own?
I not have here in Argentina the facilities to find books so if you can help me I will apreciate.

Thank you in advance
Marcelo

MFCalviellorods@datamarkets.com.ar

#2 · (Edited)
You can always contact Chris Bogart - he makes the Shenandoah Spey which is known to be a outstanding bamboo spey rod.

His webpage:

ww.shentel.net/canerod

I have no idea if he will give you the taper but I just might be your only bet.

I take it you already know the Rodmakers webpage and the discussion "list" : ww.canerod.com/rodmakers

subscribe to the list and ask your questions.

Good luck

#4 · (Edited)
I guess not - otherwise you wouldnt be posting would you :hehe:

Well - I havnt promoted anything - he asked for bamboo spey rod tapers - I offered him what is maybe the only possible way to get it and a link to a non-commercial site - I have no connection with either of the two - is it a problem offering to help :confused:

In that case I'm out of here...........................:rolleyes:

#5 ·
Hi Juro:

Yes I am. The only reason I post my profile is for the people of the forum know who I am and how difficult is for me to made my rods here in Argentina.
My ferrules need a especial taper design and that's for I asked for help. Promotion was not my intention, only help. I think also that asking for help is not the better way to make promotion, but if somebody thinks that, I must ask to excuse me.

Best regards

Marcelo
MFCalviellorods@datamarkets.com.ar:)

#7 ·
You are very welcome Marcelo - I took a look at the article in Powerfibres - very interesting from two points - on of course the ferrule (to bad there wasnt a picture of both male and female ferrules) and secondly - even more surprising - the use of Argentine bamboo - very interesting since Tonkin is considered the only "thing" to use. I am very impressed with the innovative approach you have to building bamboo fly rods.

Good luck

#8 ·
Please read them again.

Direct hyperlinks to non-sponsor sites is considered promotion regardless of the veil of context or honest intent, however the case may be.

I've had to run the link sweeper on this thread to conform. Notice that the site handles are effectively provided without direct hyperlinks after sweeping? That's sufficient for soliciting "help", wouldn't you agree?

You probably don't know this, but moderators work on a volunteer basis for no pay, have done so for years in some cases. For the most part, it's a pleasure. I must admit having to make this post over and over is not one of the pleasurable aspects.

Thank you for your compliance in the future.

#10 ·
The spirit of the policy is the following:

1) Respect our sponsors. Without them, we would have no site. It's disrespectful to come into the house the sponsors help maintain and promote others in it, wouldn't you say?

2) Provide helpful information, but don't promote. Direct hyperlinks to non-sponsor businesses that compete with sponsors are promotion according to the policy, so if you think it's helpful to provide a website address, then why not provide a website address without the "http" and/or the "www"?

Feel free to provide a website name without a link for the purposes of "help" as long as it's not promotion.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?&threadid=10950

#11 · (Edited)
Juro,

First of all the spirit of the policy is not provided when you log in to this forum - its an interpretation - I would be unable to interpret it the way you do.

To your first argument - I would agree if only the sponsors can provide the information needed - they can not in this case !

Secondly - I did not promote - I supplied helpfull information to a fellow fly fisherman - why do you think it was promotion ? How will leaving out the www make much difference ????

Nobody else seemed able/willing to help Marcelo - so I did, you didnt - you know of the Shenandoah Spey rods from the old Spey-forum !

Now where's the spirit in that :confused:

I will refrain from further comments on this - Marcelo deserves better !

#12 ·
Hi Funneldon and Juro:

Well this will not happen again. I don't like to be the first step of a discussion.
The thread is going far to other way. Thank you Funnendon, my Spey Rod is in process because of all the help I received (I will post you a picture when I get it ready). Thanks you Juro for the advice, my intention was not to take people out of this page, only I want to present myself to new felows because I was asking for help and nobody know me I subscribe to the forum few days ago. Sorry for that.

Marcelo

#14 ·
OK Funneldon you are welcome. Let me know if in the future you make the trip. Sure for the red wines and for good fishing. I'm working hard with the bamboo rods. I'm 50 years old and for about 40 I was near bamboo. For the most part of my life I fish and own a big collection of fine cane rods. Now the rodmaking is my life, but with a new concept. I think that we are living a "new era" of bamboo rodmaking because of the actual materials available . My work is to design new tapers with modern actions but preserving the magic, the bamboo soul.
Now, thanks god, my rods are in USA, Italy, England, Chile and Argentina.
If you come to Argentina perhaps we can plain a trip for some bamboo fishing

Best regards

Marcelo
MFCalviellorods@datamarkets.com.ar :)

#15 ·
You make interesting points. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to enact changes on their behalf requires some equity into the co-op whether via time and effort, contributions of content, or sponsorships.

For now, there are people who work without pay to make this place available, businesses who support it with their sponsorships, and people who participate in this free resource.

Our hope is that the forum is beneficial to all.

Funneldun said:
Juro,

First of all the spirit of the policy is not provided when you log in to this forum - its an interpretation - I would be unable to interpret it the way you do.

To your first argument - I would agree if only the sponsors can provide the information needed - they can not in this case !

Secondly - I did not promote - I supplied helpfull information to a fellow fly fisherman - why do you think it was promotion ? How will leaving out the www make much difference ????

Nobody else seemed able/willing to help Marcelo - so I did, you didnt - you know of the Shenandoah Spey rods from the old Spey-forum !

Now where's the spirit in that :confused:

I will refrain from further comments on this - Marcelo deserves better !

#16 ·
Hi gentleman:

Please we are all flyfisherman, we can live without the last word. I'm feeling like the beginer of this disscusion. The only thing I want now is make my new bamboo spey rod, but I coudn't if it process was the result of your "fight".
As I said we are flyfishermen an this is an etic point of start, I understand rules, and I understand help, but I think that all the thins were done.
If I live there perhaps tomorrow we invite you two to a fishing trip, and all the disscusion will stop.
If sometimes visit Argentina the invitation will be there for you Funneldon, and for you Juro

Best regards
Marcelo

#20 ·
Tapers

Hi Jim:

Thank you very much for your interest. Yes I find some tapers to work. I design my owns watching and taking note of what I look and get two that I liked. I finish one and the other is in planing process. I have to do some modifications in the middle section but I like the rod very much.
Thank you again.

Best regards from Argentina
Marcelo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.