Fly Fishing Forum banner

Morin in Fly Tyer

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  North Island 
#1 ·
Just in case others haven't made the connection, there is an article in this issue of Fly Tyer by John Morin...am I wrong in thinking this is our own striblue?

Nice crab fly, John, and a good article.

Keith

#5 ·
Actually, the Real Eel needs...

to move West. I guess I'm going to have to do a search on the forum for the secret. Candlefish (sand eels to you benighted Easterners) are spawning right now, and the blackmouth are supposed to be in there grubbing them up...

Keith

#6 ·
Credit Bob Clouser and an attorney from Boston by the name of Bob Bianci for that favorite of mine, I just modified it for the flats by varying the materials and developing my own methods of material distribution (french moustache) and head construction. Specifically, the fly is constructed with two different levels, one in white durable thread (body) and the other in monofilament thread (back and head).

Absolutely no wrapping occurs behind the eyes in a perpendicular to the hook shaft, which differs from the traditional Deep Minnow of Clouser fame. Bob Bianci also wrapped as Clouser does, where I do not.

A single strand of flashabou is folded and embedded in the core of the material, which is entirely synthetic.

I prefer a lightwire high strength alloy hook, the TMC 811s, with barb removed.

I prefer tungsten eyes with recessed eye sockets and the weight must match the material's wind resistance to allow full line fly casts. Most common Clouser Deep Minnows have a much higher eye weight to material ratio and thus have a slingshot effect when cast. The upriding hook is essential in very shallow water with debris on the sand. The careful matching of material and eye weight is evident in the samples I received from Mr.Bianci in the early 90's.

At first glance, it appears to be "just a clouser". Yet out of 100 variations on store shelves under that namesake, I would prefer to tie my own due to the differences.

It's really the "deep eel", out of respect for Mr.Clouser's "deep minnow", which is the proper name he gave the fly that catches anything that swims.

#7 ·
Keith -

How I would love to come experiment for blackmouth with the Atlantis and variations of the striper fly!

I would think that it would be best tied as a tube fly, two-part. I would tie the front half with a small set of eyes and a little lead wrap toward to rear for balance and weight, which in 100+ feet of water has to help. Body braid over the tubing, maybe a larger diameter ez-body flattened slightly for profile.

Then something to keep the second segment from folding over, a little cone of some sort, maybe just the flareout of the bodybraid itrself, and a lively tail segment that extends the same color schemes of the front half with a core of pearl flashabou and a single barbless stinger in the tail.

I've caught some nice feeder chinook off the shore from Brown's Point to Des Moines Marina on Puget Sound; I would imagine Port Townsend and surrounding structures would be much better.

I'm sure that a guy who lived in Mukilteo who spend an hour each evening casting such a fly or a nice herring fly from the rocks by the ferry could land 100 salmon in a year.

Bush Point, Fort Casey, Ediz Hook - the opportunities abound.

Does anyone know if it's possible to walk out to the end of the breakwater at Neah Bay?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.