Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage 6 wt?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Hey,
Been thinking about buying my first Sage. Really Need a modern trout/largemouth rod. Thinking a 6 wt. Anyone got opinions on them? Used ones?

TerryW

#3 ·
I like a 5wt 8.5 ft because it's an all-around trout rod. The longer and faster are better for stillwater; shorter, slower and smaller for brookie streams.

6wt is light for pulling largemouth out of weeds, a touch heavy for stream work unless you're in the Deerfield or comparable sized river where a 7 is not out of the question.

That's been my experience over the years, granted not nearly as traveled as my steelhead or striper exploits.

I'm not much help, I know - but in my opinion a 4 or 5wt for all-round trout; and a 7 or 8wt for freshwater bass, pike, salmon is ideal, but the 6 will get you through it with most joy on big trout and small bass.

#5 ·
Terry - most rod manufacturers have overcome the problems associated with travel rods. One possible exception is St. Croix. It seems their travel rods are made from an entirely different blank than the two piece models. Whatever you go for, ask about any differences.

I've thrown my Redington in both 2 and 4 piece versions and cannot tell the difference (I bought the 4 piece for airplane convenience). A 3 piece 9' rod will break down to fit a 38" tube. Most airlines won't bat an eyelash at including this as carry-on, but some will. Another disadvantage of the 3 piece is that it must be fully broken down to fit in the car whereas a 4 piece breaks in half and is easy to tuck in the back seat.

I'm looking to get Jen a Sage RPLi 8 wt. for X-Mas. She wanted to order it last night on the Cabelas site, but I insisted that she try it before she buy it. I would recommend the same thing to you. A Sage, from what I remember, has a certain feel to it. It's easy to mistake it as "slow." As Juro describes it, throwing the Sage well is a matter of finding the sweet spot. Perhaps he could elaborate on this for you.....

Al

#6 ·
Terry --

Man you are opening up a major can of worms (err...RODS) on this
one...

I agree that 5wt is probably your best all-around trout rod...depending
on what type of fishing you plan to do either 8.5' or 9' -- that said,
I am personally leaning more and more towards shorter/slower rods for
my trout fishing.

Water type, fly type, etc. all play a role in rod selection...and there are tons
of variables. It makes a great deal of sense to cast as many varied rods
as you can at the shows this winter/spring and see what suits you.

fwiw, i have a sage ll that you're more than welcome to "test drive" sometime...

--jared

#7 ·
Thanks Al. I've been looking at the Sage website and you are correct. Most Sage models are "swishy" or slow-med action. However the RPL+ is Fast, but sounds almost too fast. I got to try them. Any local dealers?

Jared: Been fishing Orvis Glass 5 wts all my life, short ones too. I want to go in the opposite direction. After getting into graphite 9 and 10 weights for the salt, I want the same action in sweetwater. I woukld also like to crossover between trout and bass, thus the 6 wt. faster action. I want a rod I will use to death, not one that will fill only one slot.

TerryW

#8 ·
Sully: Aha! another Glass user! I thought I was the only one. I was out with Nate one day and he saw my old lamiglass rod that was custom built for my dad and said (with a funny look) "What the heck is that?" Humbling. It's a beauty 7' trout rod for 4-5 wt lines. Got 3 other glass 5 wts. 2 of which are Orvis. Maybe glass will make a comeback.
Anyway, my winter project is to get a nice 3 piece 6 wt. around $300.

Terry

#11 ·
Now moving towards a 4 pc. 6 wt. Med Fast action. I like the Sage deal at Worldwaters.com that Nate mentioned. I need to throw one though. FWIW, I can adjust to just about any rod, which is a good point for discussion. How flexible are we? As long as the rod is close to what you need. For instance, I threw Juro's Sage for about 3 hours at the Stillwater. Wonderful. Found the sweet spot after about 2 casts and then just had to point the darn thing at it would actually cast itself! SO I'm not really hyper technical about action as long as it's with the realm of the application.

Terry

#12 ·
Hey Terry;

I have an RPL+ 4 piece 6 weight and I'm very happy with it. The six weight is great for trout and even bass, but it doesn't cast larger poppers well. If you will be casting small poppers (panfish) for bass, then you'll be ok. I have tried to cast the larger poppers and although it is do-able, it's not ideal - a 7 weight would be better. Awesome all-around trout rod with dries, big nymphs and streamers. The 4-piece construction is great - I can't believe I've gone this long without a 4-piece. Go get one!

Best regards,

Bill

#14 ·
Terry -

The Sage VPS is essentially the RPL, the rod that put Sage at the top of the rod market years ago. It's a great blank, fast but sweet - not stiff but provides a feel for all parts of the cast stroke to the wrist. You'd need to watch for ferrule distribution and impact on the rod action and weight 4 pc can be a little stiffer, heavier or softer than two pc.

Let's plan on casting the hell out of all rods at the show!

#16 ·
I have all weight rods from a 2 weight to a 15 weight. I always used a Sage 9 foot 5 weight until Orvis came out with the two weight in the 1980's. It is 8 foot long, and is a dream, if it is not windy. I have taken trout to about 5 lbs on it using very light tippets, and nylon thread for a leader. My theory is that when the fish hit, the inital shock breaks the tippet, and because of the light action rod it absorbs the shock. I fish it using flies from size 14 to size 28. Just my 2c.

#17 ·
Thanks all for the help. I realize the best thing to do is cast them. I'm targeting the Sage VPS 6wt. 4 pc now. Med fast action is the ticket. So since I can't use them til april I may as well wait for the show in Jan. to cast them. Then look for the deal.

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.