Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flash Fly

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
For those of you that do not know what the "Flash Fly" looks like or its pattern recipe, here it is. Remember that this fly imitates a spinneing lure (or spinner) and that the silver Flashabou is integral do doing this. Anyway, here a two different colors of them.

hook: saltwater #2,4,6
tail: silver Flashabou
body: silver (I prefer silver Estaz)
hackle: your choice of color; but red, pink, blue, purple seem best)
wing: silver Flashabou

(Note: you can combine other colors of Flashabou with the silver in the wing. Just keep 1/2 of the wing silver Flashabou. I.e. make the wing 1/2 silver and 1/2 hot pink or fuschia Flashabou.)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Flytyer

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have the flash flies in purple, pink, chartreuse and a blue color.

They, also, work for the shad on the American, Yuba and Lower Sacramento Rivers.

Hopefully they will work on the lower Rogue in my upcoming trip.

#4 ·
Steelhead in full sun?

Flytyer have you tried these for steelhead in full sun? Might these work during the middle of the day on the Deschutes? Most fly fishermen opt to sit out sun on the water and leave it to the gear guys with spinners and spoons.

Would you have to use sinktips to get into the same area as the spinner guys?

#5 ·
They might work on steelhead in bright sun since all they are is an imitation of a spinning lure. I've not used them for steelhead.

I have found that the "Sun Fly" found in Kelson and other of the old masters' works works very well in bright sun in gin clear water. Also, I have found that a shrimp fly tied with pearl Flashabou for a tail with either pearl or silver tinsel for the rear 1/2 body, a magenta hackle at the mid-point, a black, claret, or magenta front 1/2 body, and a badger or grizzly hackle at the front works in bright sun.

Another fly I've found works well in bright sun is Bob Wagner's "Sundowner" in black, orange, or purple.

All of these should be tied small (not bigger than a #8 standard tie) or as a low-water style fly (which you cannot do with the shrimp style fly). Interestingly, I've also found they are effective when cast under or next to a log jam and then stripped back from the lag jam. I fish them almost exclusively on floating line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.