Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need to go fishing and soon

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Salar-1 
#1 ·
I have not been fishing (salmon) for 2 months now and am getting frustrated because I cant go. Dont normally start getting fish until mid June and we have no water to push up the few early fish that run my local river. Buying more gear just makes me want to go fishing and so does watching videos. Need help or will crack up soon.

#2 ·
Get yourself up to the Tweed, Wilbert. Given the rivers you list in your profile, I assume you're in Lancashire, so it's not too far. If the river stays low, the bottom beats should start to pick up fish, and you can get onto them for not too much money via Fishtweed.

#3 ·
wilbert, i was in the same mindset yesturday except we are waitting for water levels to drop. me and a friend decided what the heck and went out yesturday evening to one of our trout streams. almost never made it when we sunk the truck in a nice mud hole but after 30 min or so we mannaged to get out and hike the rest of the way in. Water was still high but did mannage to catch a few brookies. even though it wasnt great, i just think it made my need for a good day of fishing even worse. good luck.

nate

#4 ·
Hi Wilbert,

i really do understand you( 12 weeks left to travel to Kola nad 4 weeks to see the Gaula again). Check www.bjora.no, the season just started 2 days ago. The bjora is a perfect river for the fly(one or double hand)and has a population with really salmon, average weight in the ealy season is app.8 kilo!

When will you be at th Rynda?

bone/Sven

#5 ·
Sven I will be at Rynda On the 20th August. 5 of the others that were there last year are also going again. It can't come soon enough for me but hopefully I should have got some fishing done on my local rivers before setting off to Russia. Hope you do well on the Gaula, are you going with your Dad and Egar ? Let us know how you get on.

Dave.

#9 ·
Our season in Gaspe opens next Wednesday and it can't come soon enough for me! I will be fishing the York River and am anxious to hit the water.

There is a great article out in the current issue of Wild on the Fly on fishing Quebec's Gaspe peninsula. It is good reading for those who are waiting to fish salmon this season.

Bill Greiner

#11 ·
Brian:

I thought the article was a good one (no doubt I am a bit biased)!

It has produced quite a bit of interest as has the one in Fly Fisherman which has just come out. Are you coming to Gaspe this season? There are lots of fish in all of the rivers; Grande River is getting lots of very large salmon and that is great to see.

Bill

#12 ·
Bill
The article wasn't TOO bad .I just didn't like the opening paragragh which showed a distinct misunderstanding of Canadian culture.( unless ,I suppose it was ment as a hyperbole ?) What on Earth is the local delicasy that I translated as Tongue of ugly nose snot in urchin butter ? ( top of page 60)
Yeah, the two usual suspects will be in Camp Melancon this coming week :eek: . " Lots of fish in all the rivers" ???? NOT what I've been hearing !! I've heard Gaspe,North Shore, N.B,N.S., and NFLD have,so far, been VERY quiet !
Cheers

#13 ·
Brian:

Where did you get your info on the Gaspe? I can tell you that there are more than 100 salmon on the Grande already (way ahead of last year same time) and that there are more than 100 salmon at the Falls with salmon above the falls and sector 1 with fish in several pools. The York has fish past zone 12 and there are lots of fish all throughout the river. Ditto for the St. Jean. The only river I don't have a sense for is Pabos North but it must not be too different.

In speaking with Dave and Glenn there seem to be fish around the Bonaventyre and G-Cas.

Good luck

Bill

#14 ·
I finally managed to go fishing on my local river after an absence of almost 8 months. It was good to be fishing on pools that I know well just a shame that there are not many fish about at this time of year. Water was perfect but no pulls and no fish seen but thats salmon fishing for you. Looking forward to the next few floods as they should bring some fish up but I bet they happen in the next 2 weeks when I am on my hols in Spain.

#15 ·
Bill
If DB says there's fish in the G.C. AND the Bonnie then there's fish in the G.C. and Bonnie .Dave is pretty decent and honest with his river reports. Le Have reports 43 fish through the fish counter, I could add and add more dismal news from that area of the country.Trinite on the North Shore reports 13 fish through the fish ladder ( 18th June). 22 fish or so at the Sanctuary on the Pat,but that's fairly normal for this river at this time of year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.