Fly Fishing Forum banner

tube flies

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
while fishing with tube flies , I have notice a disturbing trend .
specifically I have hooked and landed several fish that swallowed the fly deeply and were pumping blood out of there gills. Four years ago on the Dean I had a fish die .

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I am contemplating not using them anymore because i dont like releasing fish that are going to possibly die

#3 · (Edited)
Fish Hawk I would disagree with you on that one

Whether the fly was a tube, waddington or regular hook isn't going to determine how deeply a fish takes it.

There are times when fish just plain take a fly deep, I would say you have a pattern that the fish really want, or a combination or good fly pattern with excellent fishing conditions.

I have fished steelhead patterns that were tied on low water #10 hooks.....a size the fish should be able to swallow completely only to lip hook the fish.

I have also had fish take huge 5/0 greaseliners that literally inhaled the fly.

Both these flies were on the Dean...dont forget...the Dean fish are very aggressive fish and will take a fly hard...sometimes in the lip ,sometimes deep in the throat.

I really dont see how style of pattern determines the depth of the take. There are just too many variables to say that any style is responsible for a deep take.

In my opinion I think you have a combination of eager fish, good fly pattern and good overall conditions...ie water temp, clarity and active fish.

I fish a particular pattern here on my home waters in the Kootenays ( BC ) the sizes range from #6 to #2 6XL shank hooks. Last time out on the water I hooked three fish so deep with the monsterous #2 fly that I needed forceps to retrieve the fly. Something I had never experienced on that particular watershed. The fishing was very hot that day, and I think that the competition by other fish was fierce . They were savaging the fly and three fish took the fly deep .

If you want to ensure minimal damage with a deeply hooked fish ensure that the hook size is on the small size. For steelhead I would say limit that to a size #1 and no larger

My two cents worth

Jake

#4 ·
I know what's wrong

You need to take that gob of eggs off the hook. :hehe: :D :devil:

Just kidding. But I agree above, I have yet to see any trend of deep hooking fish. I must admit, I've only caught a couple handful of fish with tubes. But none have been deeply hooked.

Can't tell you what is happening. By chance you have some sort of smell on your hands (say WD40 or such from your car)? May add the extra scent that adds more of a desire to eat/swallow the fly without biting down on it. Maybe you should lay off the caviar while fishing. You pop a few by accident on the fly and look what happens. :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.