Fly Fishing Forum banner

Summer Steelhead in November

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NrthFrk16 
#1 ·
I've had a very enjoyable fall with local wild steelhead. Yesterday, in fact, I hooked what was probably the largest, definately the strongest fish on the year (got off while I was struggling to grab it -- still haven't mastered that with the 14 ft rod yet). So I want to keep it going and continue fishing for these fish into November. I haven't fished much this late in the year before, so I was wondering how you folks changed your approaches as the water cooled. The water is now 46-47 degrees so they're still coming up for swung flies. I really enjoy the floater and hate to think that I'll have to use egg patterns with a sink-tip soon. Anyone care to share their experience on this topic?
Thanks
Eugene

#2 ·
I have had some memorable days in late October and in November after the first heavy fall rains. The fish may not be bright but they come readily and it is very possible to run into an early brat. Plus those late run coho that hold in Fortson are bruisers...

I spent a late October day a couple years back exploring the Upper South Fork of the Stilly. I explored around the Red Bridge area. Its a small river up there and I didnt hook any fish myself but I watched a fellow throwing a spinner hook and land a fish right in front of me.

We got to talking and he said that it is a great river in the fall and that many of the fish are wild. I have been meaning to go back but never have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.