Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great Day

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  doogue 
#1 ·
My wife and I started the day perusing the goods at Vermont Salvage - a really cool place in Manchester, NH. After finding some old shutters for our new house we headed east on route 101. We sauntered over to Route 1 and - after visiting a string of antique shops - we arrived in Newburyport. After some window shopping and some ice cream (I had the Plum Island Turtle in a waffle cone) I said, "Hey honey - guess what? It is 2 hours to low tide. The Merrimack is right over yonder. I have a 9 weight in the car and you have your favorite book. The sun is shining and we should go to the beach so that I can do some fishing."

An hour and a half later I had fishy stink all over my hands.

Need I say more? I had a great day. Small fish but a whopper of a day.

They are here!

-Mike

#2 ·
I had a very similar day. Did I say similar? I meant dissimilar, or anti-similar, or.......

I turned the soil in my wife's garden with a pitch fork(must have dragged a good 100 yds. of a complex root system from just below the surface of the dirt), raked the acorns and various twigs from the front yard, mowed the lawn, changed some diapers....that would be the anti-fish stink on my hands.......you get the point.

On the plus side, I took my soon to be 2 year old son to look at massive wooden swing sets. I got a nice black and blue on my right calf from a wiffle ball bat that I was teaching him to hit with. Once he got the hang of hitting a wiffle ball off of a road cone I took said wiffle ball right in the groin. Both injuries were swiftly attended to by the cutest little kid, arms outstretched, telling me, "make you happy again, Dada."

I wouldn't have traded any of it for all the fish in sea.

But I'm glad my Bro' had a nice day, none-the-less.

#4 ·
Mark -

Great way to create memories. Now just be glad he wasn't using real equipment :whoa: ( guess he won't be playing with golf clubs anytime soon :devil: )

Mike - I thought the bride fished???
Where is that Vermont Salvage place in Manchester? What sizes of shutters did they have? - I'm looking for some replacements. Email if you don't wanna answer here. Thanx.

#7 ·
Sully,

Thanks for the alert on the action in the Merrimack. It was just the motivation I needed to steer my Saturday with the wife to Newburyport.

Dave - she does fish. Yet, while stripers actively feed when the water temp hits 52 degrees my wife starts to fish when the water hits 60 degrees (and the wind is not too blustery). She is a lovely fair weather creature!

The salvage place is Vermont Salvage and the website is:

www.vermontsalvage.com

Dig around on the site for their phone number. They are right along 293 in downtown Manch.

Take care,

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.