Fly Fishing Forum banner

End of Season in NB

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Topher Browne 
#1 · (Edited)
I was able to spend two days fishing the Miramichi and surrounding rivers on October 10th and 11th. To say the water was high is an understatement. We tried the Miramichi for about an hour on the morning of the 10th, but packed it in to fish the Cains -- which also was very, very high.

I am happy to report, however, that we found a fishable spot where a small stream dumped into the Cains. One of the folks with whom I was fishing caught a grilse there at about 11:30am on the 10th. I caught a salmon (about 10 pounds) and a grilse there between 4:00-5:00pm. The fish were very strong and showed no signs of wear when released.

I am happy to say that I caught both my fish on a two-handed rod using a single-spey cast -- the only one I can execute with any confidence thanks to Juro's instruction at the Catt Clave last year.

We neither saw, nor caught any fish on the 11th.

That's it for me this season.

CK

#2 ·
Charles -

Great report!

Glad to hear your single Spey is working. It's considered the toughest to master by most who pick up the two-hander. I recall when Topher and I crossed over the bridge for day two last year, we saw someone practicing a graceful and smooth single spey. We asked each other who that might be... and as we rounded the drive found it was you. Keep up the great work and glad to hear you overcame tough conditions to get your fish.

regards,
Juro

ps - don't forget your downriver anchor casts ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.