Fly Fishing Forum banner

Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap - Sign Up

7K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
In order to keep up with the other fly swaps in process (i.e. steelhead, saltwater, trout) to ensure Salmo Salar is represented an Atlantic Salmon fly swap is proposed.

Each person would tie one pattern of an atlantic salmon fly of their choice. Custom or traditional pattern. Hairwings, speys, tubes, etc. classic ties are optional (for those that can do them)

They would receive a fly back from each of the participating people.

Limit of people participating is ten which should be enough for the number of people which responded to the previous e-mail.

Sign up ends January 15th - Flies would be due to the coordinator by Febuary 1st.

Respond to this e-mail if you are interested. A list of those participating and instructions will be posted on January 15th.

Thanks and good tying. Nothing like an atlantic salmon pattern to test your skills on.

Hal :chuckle: :chuckle:

See less See more
#27 ·
Final - Atlantic Salmon Fly Swap Schedule

As per previous posts the deadline for the flies to me is
February 28th the following people are in the swap:

1. Pmflyfisher
2. Steelheader 69 - Flies received (11)
3. Juro
4. Frenchcreek
5. Wrke
6. Willie Gunn

Unless we get 4 more people by this weekend to make ten participants as originally planned lets do 7 flies per participant. One for each other participant and one for the Swapmeister me.

So 7 flies each is due by Feb 28th to me who will then distribute to every one. See my home address in previous post above.

If any more people want to participate, possibly some of those new spey fisherman coming over from the other board they are welcome.

Max of ten people though to participate.

I will send a final message this weekend of the participant count this weekend to every one, watch this thread.

Any type of atlantic salmon pattern is good. Hairwing, spey, traditional, tube, etc....

Advise of questions, etc..

Hal

P.S. Jerry since you already sent in your ten if we do not get ten participants I will keep your extras and send you some of my special michigan steelhead ties in yours to make up the difference. You will get at least 10 flies back, who knows I may even empty my fly wallets on you. Man do I have to many flies now. Been tying a lot this winter.

#33 ·
French Creek (aka Pete L.)

Pete received your flies today. Will look at when I get back from LA on Sunday. Will probably need some sanity after 5 days there.

If the rest hurry, we just may beat the Winter steelhead fly swap !! :D:D

Due date is still Feb 28th for the flies to me.

Later

Hal

#34 ·
Yyou're probably right

You'll probably beat me. Ii'm only waiting on Mean Gene, a new swap particiapnt who's taking highlander's spot. Hhe never responded to me. I actually got ryan's flies todayy. So once Gene's shows up, they're flying out the door.

Hhey Hhal, what do you think of a summerrun fly swap? I'm thinking about meistering one. I'm stupid, I know. LOL

#36 ·
I'm all done

Just wrapped up my flies. Last ones came in. Will be in mail by Monday. Good lord, and to think I brought up a summerrun fly swap. SHEESH

Yyeah, had that last email from highlander, but no responses to email or anything. He must haave dropped off the face of the earth. But some decent flies nonetheless.

#38 ·
Finally had some time to look at the flies received to date.

That LA trip last week kind of wiped me out at work this past week. Lots of catch up etc...

We have some unique Atlantic Salmon flies here:

Jerry (AKA Steelheader69) - Blue Bayou - Blue/green hair wing streamer type.

Malcolm (AKA Willie Gunn) - has tied what else but the infamous Scottish Willie Gunn tube fly.

Bill (AKA WRKE) - has tied a Black Bear Green Butt - Sparkle Variation. (Love this fly, one of the traditional ties I will fish here in the mid west with confidence)

Pete (AKA French Creek) - Ally's Shrimp - Very neat shrimp pattern. Looks easier to tie than a GP and prettier, hopefully to the fish also.

Juro (AKA Juro) - To be determined

Hal (AKA Pmflyfisher) - Hairwing pattern, still determining exactly which one to go with. I tied a bunch over the winter but may do something different.

Will be sending out the first week of March.

Due date for flies to me is Feb 28th.

Have some good fly tyers on this board.

I will not be using these flys but use them as specimens for other ties. Actually they are all to nice to risk losing on the river to the dreaded snag.

Hal

#39 ·
Calling all outstanding atlantic salmon swap flies .

The due data of Feb 28th has arrived.

Juro I know you have had tough week with the server problems so as any good fly fisherman I can be very patient.

Will await your flies to do the mailing to participants.

Will get the mailers this weekend and prepare for it.

Hal

#40 ·
FYI

Neat atlantic salmon fly tying page I just ran into, check it out.

Has detailed instructions on two of the flies in the swap.

Willie Gunn and Allys Shrimp

Also can down load e-books on a number of subjects

See the salmon fly tying e-book you can download for $ 5.

Looks like a great deal. Have to admit those UK atlantic salmon anglers have some unique beautiful flies, just wish we had more atlantic salmon here in the US to apply them to.

Enjoy !!

http://www.flytyer.co.uk/bench/bench1.htm

#41 ·
The Willie Gunn Works

Hi Hal
Had a brillant day on the Spey today, I landed a 7lb salmon on a 2"Willie Gunn. I landed the fish across from the Association water where the locals were chucking their baits, which made it even sweeter. There is nothing like catching a fish on the fly when the spinners fail.

Malcolm:D :D :D :D :D

#42 ·
Malcolm,

Excellent day on the Spey and also better when you can outfish the spin and bait fisherman. Actually, most of my fishing these days is on no kill flys only areas, so I do not have to compete with the spin and bait crowd anymore.

I guess I am an elitist FF, so be it.

Just read on a UK web page that the Spey can rise 12 FEET from the spring snow melt off. Wow that is a lot. No river here has a rise like that, unless we have a record torrential rain storms.

Cheers,

Hal

#43 ·
Pmflyfisher (me) has completed his swap flies. I changed patterns doing a new AS hairwing variation which I will try on the Great Lake summer run steelhead this year.

Basically its a hybrid between a Rusty Rat and a Cossboom in my favorite steehead color, irish green. Very appropriate with St. Patricks day upon us.

It is in honor of my irish business colleague, John Keohane, lost in the 9/11 WTC collapse, I have named it the "Keohane Special" .

Below is the writeup on John. Very special person, I told him last year I would tie some flies for him this winter, well here they are, I would give up all future fly fishing if I could just bring John back from this tragic event.

He was a truly special person which I will remember for the remainder of my life. He was to be in Chicago on the night of 9/11 for a three day attorney's meeting which of course was cancelled.

http://www.legacy.com/LegacyTribute/Tribute.asp?Page=TributeStory&PersonId=93179

#51 ·
Atlantic Salmon Flies

Willie, How will it look if you start catching salmon on flies tied by those rebels in the colonies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.