Fly Fishing Forum banner

NF Stilly Needs Your Help

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Brian Simonseth 
#1 · (Edited)
Heads up-The NF Stilly needs your help

As was mentioned at the last WSC general meeting by Brian Simonseth the Stillaguamish Implementation Review Committee (SIRC) is trying to get the money they need to from the state to by pass the Steelhead Heaven Slide. We need to get our letter writing going on this. Below is an sample letter that you can use. Just put your senator or representative's name in and your name and address at the bottom. thank you JJ

Dear <Representative or Senator>,

I am writing to urge you to support and insure that matching funds from the Washington State Ecology's Centennial Grant or Salmon Recover Funding Board are provided this year for the Restoration of the Hazel/Steelhead Haven slide on the North Fork of the Stillagaumish.

This single expenditure of money would provide a
dramatic reduction of silt and clay from a manmade
exasperated slide that has in filled spawning beds and pools through out the river down to the clam beds in the estuary. These matching sources would finalize the engineering, design and construction of a log jam that would alter the course of the river for the fish and wildlife populations and bring this stream closer to its pristine pre-disturbance state. Currently the Salmon Recovery Funding Board does not fund engineered
log jams and therefore any influence that you can
provide to change this would be greatly appreciated.

The NF of the Stilly has been written up by Zane Grey for its famed wild Deer Creek steelhead and was one of the first in the nation to go fly fishing only and ultimately to a catch and release for native fish. To further strengthen the arena, the WRIA 5 Watershed is fortunate to have the synergy of an organized local group called Stillaguamish Implementation Review Committee (SIRC) from all relevant Federal, State,local and tribal agencies plus the actual stakeholders made up of Federation of Fly Fishers, stakeholder landowners and environmentalists. SIRC has been involved in the Army Corps of Engineers Ecosystems restoration project since the late 1990s. The Hazel/Steelhead Haven slide project has been identified as the key project necessary for a successful ecosystems restoration strategy. The money was authorized through congress to address these projects in that strategy, but the monies have yet to be appropriated for the Hazel/Steelhead Haven slide.

The key to accessing that money is to assure that we can secure local funding to match the federal monies!

We hope you will support our efforts in the state
legislature to restore this once world renowned fly fishing river back to its one time inspirational character of deep clear pools full of wild fish. The future economic sustainability will only be hardened through the investments we make today reducing the sediment problems in the Stillaguamish.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So how many have sent a letter to their Legislator? Looks like the rain is going to knock the river out for a little while so there's no excuse not get one in has well as review the upcoming rules proposals and write in. Sent mine in and fished before the storm, even mange, to bring a winter brat to the fly, but crackered it.:eek:

#3 ·
Rich,

Any idea where the Stilly Tribe and Snohomish County are regarding either signing the grant contract from the feds (which they have both had for 10 years; but which to my knowledge, neither has signed) to work on this slide among other things on the Stilly? Last I heard was that both the tribe and the county were unwilling to put up any of the 6 million needed in local matching dollars the federal grant requires before the fed dollars can be tapped.

#4 ·
CONSTRUCTIVE EDITING

I love that river dearly. With all due respects, however, I'd like to suggest rephrasing one of the sentences in the template letter you suggested.

This sentence I think should be reworked:

..."silt and clay from a manmade exasperated slide that has in filled spawning beds and pools through out the river down to the clam beds in the estuary...."

It can perhaps have a bit more sense and power if phrased in this manner:

...."silt and clay from a slide exacerbated by manmade activites has filled in spawning beds and pools throughout the river, clear down to the clam beds in the estuary...."

Thanks for taking this suggestion in the constructive manner in which it was presented.

Marketic

#7 ·
Brian,

I am quite ignorant of the issues surrounding the Hazel slide proposals but I have heard rumors on the river of some possible disatisfaction with the local Hazel residents.

I wonder if you could expound upon the residential attitudes and involvement in this project?

Thanks in advance. :)

#8 ·
Hazel

Two sumers ago we (SIRC & county) meet with most of people that live there. Before the meeting started we ask them if they we in danger. Every one said no; but after the meeting people did't know and ask for more info. The study we had done has every thing. I'll get out soon, I'm new on this thing. Homer

#10 ·
Thanks Brian,

I've heard nothing but good things about what you and SIRC have been doing for the Stilly watershed.

Whatever can be done to help get the mud out of the river can only be beneficial to all concerned.

I'll be looking for any more information as it becomes available.

Keep up the good work - Plunk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.