Fly Fishing Forum banner

Preferred reel seat color?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  HookUp 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I'm still planning the rod project for the Winter, and am looking at reel seats; particularly at Struble and REC. This rod is primarily for use on rivers and streams for trout.

The question I have is whether you think a nickle-silver reel seat stands a much greater chance of spooking fish if it glints in the sunlight than would a darker, dull finish such as black or titanium-anodized. Obviously, if you're not in the trout's field of vision, there should be reduced chance for a flash from the reel seat to put the fish down, but I still have the underlying concern that it could potentially decrease chances of catching fish in a clear body of water in which the fish are a bit more wary. All of the previous rods I've built have used black or titanium finish components, but I was interested in a change for this one, the 11' 6-wt. XP. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

#8 ·
Struble is "OK",but IMHO is the cheaper and plainer of the nickle silver seats.IMHO they make a custom rod look too much like a factory rod(Sage uses them)

REC offers some very nice seat's as does Bellinger and both are MUCH nicer than the Struble's,but are more money.

The nicest seats I've seen though(both in machining of the nickle silver and in the inserts) are those made my Robert Venneri( www.venerris.com ).INCREDIBLE seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.