Fly Fishing Forum banner

Purple Commoner

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
Like a Purple King, but less "regal", this fly will catch fish in a similar fashion, but has a slightly quicker tying time, and uses fewer materials. This is a "fishing" fly - as opposed to a display fly. Save your good Bronze Mallard for a display fly - it's just going to get mussed on the first drift anyway!

Other good colours have been red and - believe it or not - dark blue.

Recipe:

Hook: Partridge Bartleet
Tag: Gold Oval (optional)
Body: Silver Braid
Rib: Gold Oval
Hackle: Purple Marabou
Collar: Teal
Wing: Bronze Mallard

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Pastortd Tell me something

I have posted a few flies on this site....but they are not nearly the size of your wonderful flies....how do you do it? I have taken digital photos, then I open them up in paint and reduce the image to about 75% so they dont exceed the 3,000 byte max....please let me in on your method

Best regards....Jake

#6 ·
Re: Pastortd Tell me something

Norseman said:
how do you do it?
I tie flies no smaller than 9/0! Makes it really easy!

No - just kidding. My "photos" are actually scans. I lie the fly on the scanner bed, cover with a piece of white, non-glare paper, and scan away. If you start at a high resolution, you end up with the image being as much as thousands of pixels by thousands, and reduction goes from there. In my case, I have to do a lot of tweaking with the light/contrast and hue/saturation controls, but generally end up with a pretty accurate scan.

It is very easy with a "flat" fly like a spey or wet fly. Not so easy with dry flies and some nymphs. The circular hackle lends much more of a 3D effect, and throws a lot of shadows on the scan.

#11 ·
Yes, I think the scanner is the way to go, I am having trouble with the Digital camera method. My scanner broke last year when one of my sons gave it a good knock it went inop. Have to think about a new one.

Any body have any recommendations on what is good for fly pictures ?

PM Out

G
#12 ·
Can't beat the digi-cam, you need one with at least 3M. pixels.

The more the better. Scanners are OK, but you loose some definition. Visioneer makes a decent flat bed scanner for around $300. You will probably some typr of OCR or Phot shop software to go with the scanner. The stuff sent with it is pretty watered down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.