Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Member

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  macspey 
#1 ·
Here's another old classic, tied by Bryant Freeman. I love this fly, guaranteed killer for Fall in Cape Breton, or the Cains in NB.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Member question

hi John.
At first glance it reminds me of Joe Aucoins "Brown Bomber".
Is the tippet used in the throat? or has the underwing dropped below the shank?? Yep, Margaree written all over it. Never heard of it before though. Is it one of Bryants own?
Keep em coming.
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>
Th

#3 ·
Dwayne,
It's a very old fly, Kelson (1896) attributes it to David Murray. Bryant's deviates a bit from Kelson's pattern. BF's has tippet top and bottom. Yeah, it does bring the Brown Bomber to mind, for sure. One of these days, I'm gonna work up some courage and attempt to tie up a few for the Fall!:hehe:
john

#4 ·
Macspey,

Beautiful flies!

How are you getting such high res. pics on here. I am new to the digital and computer stuff and seemed like when I posted a photo is was low quality unless really small. I got a new 5.2 megawhatever digital camera and am trying to figure it out. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Greg

#5 ·
Macspey,

It is nice to see some folks still tie and fish a few of the old classics. I have found that many of them work very well for our west coast steelhead. You should not encounter any real problems with tying it. The hardest part will be getting the teal to lay properly on top of the wing. A tip for doing this easily is to use a section of teal (or pintail or gadwall) that is twice as wide as needed, fold it in half, and tie the folded teal on top of the G.P. tail main wing as a roof. This is far easier than trying to tie a piece of teal in on each side, and the result is the same.

#6 ·
Greg,
The key is your image editing software. You need to be able to resize your image by 'resampling' down to the correct image size (in this case, 540 pixels across) at 72dpi (computer screen resolution). Then, save the image as a 'JPG'. I use Photoshop, which makes this very easy. I've probably confused you further! Sorry! So, if you like, shoot me an email and we'll try to get it sorted out. Glad you like the flies- wish I could take credit for them.

Flytyer,
Thanks for the tying tip, I'll give it a shot one of these nights.

John
jnp@valley.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.