Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip - October 3

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
This is our last attempt and we should look at Saturday, October 3.....We can keep the 4th as a fall back but I think this is it. Just sign on so we can see if we atleast have the numbers....screw the weather right now....this is just a numbers thread.... who is interested.... we can take atleast 12....10 will do. edit - sorry the 4th is not available after seeing Keiths post

#6 ·
Last HooRah!

John...
Thanks for volunteering to be das meister und "herder of catz"!!!
May the weather godz shine on your kind efforts!

Kindly put me on the LIST...party of ONE...

If the winds rain on the parade, we can drive to the rip...I can take 12...9 inside and 3 on the roof...

#15 ·
As of this morning my plan is not to drive down to Chatham tonight since the weather looks bad. So, I will leave it to Jim if he feels he can get more updates later...I am sorry I will not plan on being there unless I hear that we are going from Jim later...if he is able to intercede here. Keith will not go out in a heavy rain and possible T-storms anyway. Here is the NOAA report I pulled this morning for coastal CC.

"SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT...INCREASING
TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO
5 FT. SHOWERS. TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON. SOME TSTMS MAY PRODUCE
HEAVY RAINFALL IN THE AFTERNOON WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM. "

See you guys next spring where I hope to start looking at this trip in May 2010... also hopefully the South Monomoy Light house will be available for overnights.

#16 ·
Rip Trip Cancelled

NOAA 1015am report is for heavy rain and possible thunderstorms with SE winds increasing 15-20 and gust to 30. Same report from the Boston TV channels, so the one time they all agree, Im gonna guess they may actually get it right.:hihi:

Tis been the story of the season this year.

#18 ·
RIP... [rest in peace]...

So...

If we leave the causeway at 0700 on foot, 'ought to be at the tip around 1130...
'fish the rip for a few hours then head on back [wind and rain at our 6 o'clock] arriving at the causeway around 1730...That's the ticket...
Or maybe we should just sleep in!?

Good effort Brother John...Thanks Capt Keith...
holdin' out for the Bear's Den fandango...

#19 ·
Thanks for that Pic Pete, That was from our overnight stay at the light House.... and I think the guy in the pic is me walking back. I will save that pic. I would thaink that next year with the potential of the light house opening.... and scheduling these trips in the summer DURING the week instead of just focusing on weekends we will be able to pull even more than a couple. The one we got off this year was mid week for a group of guys who were on the Cape for a full week. So we should be able to get numbers with all the vacations taken during the summer and pic a week and go the best day...that is what I will be looking at. We will not ignore weekends , we just need to work the days around them as well.

#21 ·
Kudos to you John for keep trying though. maybe next year . . . .

Agree with Kudos. The math is simple: Chances of going if we keep trying...X%; Chances of not going if we don't keep trying..100%.

Not going today was a good call. Yesterday off Nauset the new southerly had 3 ft & building by 2:30 in the afternoon. This morning on the cape-side flats I had 12 to 15 kts. at my back & rain. Jim S & Craig had connected on the last of the drop. I got there an hour late, but a little later got two nice fish coming onto the flats with the rise. The incoming chased me off with 3" of wader top to spare. I waited a little bit to fish the eel grass edges, but then the Lightning came...at that point a Spanish Omelet at Grumpy's seemed like a real good idea.

#22 ·
I think I saw you guys a 100 yards to the east milking the flood (up to your arm pits). Dead to the west of you. Sunday am lot's of bait flying being chased by 5" snappers. Took a few casts in the creek and picked up one small/sub keeper. First friggen fish in a month (albeit I haven't fished much). Much more pleasant out there sunday than it was sat.

I had a feeling I'd find you guy's at Grumpy's if I had checked but it was the wifes birthday and I needed to get home and be nice..

#23 ·
Fred, Craig and I got into fish during the incoming at the the juncture of the two creeks. I think later they made a u-turn and headed back out. Wind and horizontal rain made it a lot of fun. I think Juro and a couple of other guys were down in your area. Todd linked up with us later and continued fishing the flood at the creek. After we left, and I returned to let the dog out, I got to thinking about Todd out there on the flood. Drove back to see if he was ok, but his truck was gone. He was in a relatively flat area, so no drama walking back, but the tide was honking.

My fall season is done. It was certainly inversely proportional to May/June. I'm starting to get concerned about the dearth of small fish. There has not been a good year for yoy this century in the Chesepeake. While the Hudson has been very good, it doesn't have the mass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.