Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing in Norway

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  FlyAlf 
#1 ·
Hi

I was wondering what you think about flyfishing in Norway for the biggest atlantic salmon, is that something you would like to do soon or is it not the thing you would do first.
Have anyone here been to Norway for the salmon fishing ??

Kind regards
Kenneth mayer

#2 ·
I had some questions about fishing in Svalbard last summer, posted a question on a Norwegian fishing board (to which I was directed from US query), and could not believe the amount of bitter anti-American invective the post generated.
Is there (still) an issue with anti-US sentiments in Norway?

#3 ·
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about that. I believe in general that Norway and norwegian anglers are most often pro-USA as most of the country. However we have some of the annoying left radicals who always make up an excuse to batter the US.
However if You should choose to come to Norway we will be glad to help You with any information. We are both supportive to Your country and its politics.

Support and thoughts goes to the lads in Iraq.

Best regards
Kenneth and Petter,

#5 ·
Kenneth and Petter,

I own a fly shop here NJ. All of my cousins and relatives are from Norway. I was wondering if you knew someone by the name of Gier Grevstad. He is my cousin (my mother's sister's son). He runs a large fishing/fly fishing company over your way.

Andrew

#6 · (Edited)
Well lets just say that everyone thats into fishing in Norway, fly or spin, they know Geir Grevstad.

He has his own series of rods and accsesories that has become very popular amongst the "new age" flyfishers. His rod are very Fast top action rods and I must say I do not like them at all. The brand is called VOGG.
Geir is a great guy and I really think you should test his flyfishing and spinning gear as it is a good brand.

Visit our web site for updated info on the best salmon rivers in southern Norway.

Kind regards
Kenneth Mayer

#7 ·
Mr. K. Mayer

The reason for this post may be a bit strange but I would very much like to ask you a few questions. I will preface my questions to tell you I have no knowledge of fly fishing and also that I am Geir Grevstad's uncle, living in Washington State. His mother is my sister. my name is Joe Grevstad.

When I was home two years ago visiting with his mother and my other sisters Geir and I had a number of conversations abouy his new venture and I have followed it with great interest. In recent months Geir and I have talked about entering the U.S. market and in that context I have a more than casual interest in your evaluation of his product.

Frankly I am more interested in what you don't prefer about his rods and why, than what you like. I want and need to get a "handle" on what the typical American fly fisherman deem to be the ideal rod for each application.

Your comments would be appreciated. If you prefer you may contact me at
jgrevstad@aol.com

I am leaving for Norway this coming Tuesday, July 20, and will have many conversations with Geir about this.

Sincerely

Joe Grevstad

#8 ·
dieu7 said:
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about that. I believe in general that Norway and norwegian anglers are most often pro-USA as most of the country. However we have some of the annoying left radicals who always make up an excuse to batter the US.
However if You should choose to come to Norway we will be glad to help You with any information. We are both supportive to Your country and its politics.

Support and thoughts goes to the lads in Iraq.

Best regards
Kenneth and Petter,
I am sorry to hear about the anti-American postings. However I belive that you should be aware of a growing concern in Norway about what the American goverment is doing.

It is not my intention to further discuss this subject, so what about fishing?

I do fully belive that all American fishermen (and others) will be most welcome to fish in Norway. Much of the modern trout fishing in Norway is heavy influenced by America, but when it comes the Atlantic Salmon fishing I think that we have established a tradition of our own, with two-handed rods (now including double haul).

#9 ·
FlyAlf -

I look forward to fishing Norway someday, almost made it this year but it didn't work out. Nobuo fishes it regularly and does very well, but then again he does well everywhere.

Can you please clarify "two-handed rods with double haul"?

#10 ·
juro said:
FlyAlf -

Can you please clarify "two-handed rods with double haul"?
Well, I would expect Grevstad to tell more about this, he has been central in the development. I guess this is not a big secret since it has been published in Norwegian fishing magazines. Shortly explained a sliding grip on two-handed rods enabling double haul. Expect to hear more about this in US as well, as double handed rods are being markeded more over there.

Btw, we (Norway) have just recently begun exploring lightweight two handed rods for trout fishing. So far these have only been used for Salmon (# 7-12).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.