Fly Fishing Forum banner

Surfs Up Steelhead(Great Lakes Stule)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dansteelieman 
#1 ·
Well, there's nothing better than walking miles along the Lake Michigan shoreline, searching for no name creek mouths, and pursuing the elusive Great Lakes steelhead. Well, I am one of those beach bums, and I would give anything to hook a steelhead or salmonoid in the open water, rather than in the rivers. Why?? Well, here's my opinion....the fish are fresh, and very aggressive!! Also, there are little obstacles to compete with, and you have the opportunity to land more fish if done right. I live for this, and using a spey rod comes in handy as well. I don't get to do it that often since I reside in an area of Michigan that doesn't have the best surf fishing opportunities. Below are some images from a recent trip in Northern Michigan.

A fresh chrome hen taken off a redd right in the mouth of a creek. She attacked a blue/white clouser minnow. I watched her enter the creek the previous day and move in and out cruising the shoreline. She measure 31in and had a 15in girth.

The same fish, different view.

A dark male taken the previous day that was in a holding lie behind a redd under some brush in the creek mouth. I watched this male cruise the shorline the day before and refused our surfs candy flies. It took a smelt imitation out of aggression as it drifted over the redd. It measured 33in long and had a 16in girth.

//us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_6804887/Dan%27s+Spring+Steelhead/surf+male+release.jpg?bcnspB9Ahdz0.G6M

Releasing the male.

Well, if you guys need any help with surf fishing or have questions/comments, please post.

Tightlines and screamin reels!

Surf's up dude!
-Dansteelieman

My website: www.geocities.com/shuby6925
My fishing forums: http://pub48.ezboard.com/banglingadventures75231

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm a Michigander now residing in Vermont. I'll be in Northern MI at the end of the month. Will the opportunity for that kind of fishing still be there? I'll probably be into the hex hatch at that point, but surf-casting for GreatLakes steelies sounds like a blast. I'd love some more info.
Oh, and GO WINGS.

#3 ·
Check out the outing

Check out the outing.....it's gonna be a blast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.