Fly Fishing Forum banner

Notes on Wader Selection...

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
> Wader Suggestions...

There are a few options to review: neoprene, rubber, PVC coated, and breathable. Rubber is cheap, heavy and susceptible to ultraviolet rays. They don't breathe and will crack over a fairly short time. They are good if you plan to cycle through inexpensive waders frequently and don't walk long distances on sand, etc. If you end up in the drink, they are lousy swimsuits.

Always, always wear a snug belt to keep them from inflating like an umbrella when submerged.

Neoprene are the best for cool weather and water temps. They are extremely comfortable, flexible and warm. For rivers in spring and fall, and for float tubes, they are the cat's ass. They are too warm for summer beach fishing during the day, or when you need to walk back to the rig after a morning outing, or whenever temps rise. Thus in my opinion they are not the best single choice for striper fishing.

PVC coated waders, wadelites, etc. - are inexpensive, durable, light and comfortable. The problem is that like the neoprenes when walking long distances in warm weather they are like wearing a baggie... the sweat and condensation combines makes the insides clammy and damp. This is particularly bad when you walk a long way in the afternoon and end up fishing into the night, the moisture from the afternoon sweat session saps your body heat away as the cool night sets in. You can line them with microfleece pants to keep the moisture to a minumum but then during hot weather you will sweat more.

Breathables are very expensive, yet light, comfortable, and drastically drier than non-breathables when sweat and condensation (caused by differences in water temps and body temps) are in play. They are also much cooler (breathe) in hot weather, which makes them highly suited toward summer striper fishing. My experience is that they are not the most durable wader style, but in terms of performance for summer fishing nothing comes close.

My hands-down favorite non-breathable wader is the OS Systems wader, which is made by a dri-suit maker in Oregon. I have abused my OSS waders for over 8 years and they are the toughest waders made. The seams are incredibly strong and the feet are a molded diver's latex "sock", the most comfortable wader stocking foot in the market - bar none. There are no seams in the foot because it is a single molded drysuit foot. They do not breathe, making them susceptible to condensation, but for durability there is no equal. OS Systems is developing a gore-tex version as we speak. They run $149 plus tax and are the best value for a non-breathable anywhere. These waders are extremely hard to find.

For breathables, there are high end and entry level makes. On the low end, Reddington offers a four year unconditional warranty on their breathables which retail $169 - how can you beat that? On the high end, Simms Guide Model Goretex is the upper echalon of wading technology at 350-400 per pair with a 2 year warranty. You can pull your jersey over the top of these waders and walk into a restaurant without anyone noticing you're wearing waders. You will feel like you're in your old khaki's too! They have neoprene feet, cut to fit the form of the foot. Second only to the single pc. diver's latex foot for comfort. Warning - neoprene feet are more than a little warm in hot weather!

The lower priced breathables usually come with stocking foots of the same material, which usually results in wear and leaks. They do avoid hot feet on the flats and sand dunes. If they are properly formed, they are less susceptible to leaks from folding and rubbing.

Vendors like Cabelas and LL Bean contract the above companies to manufacture re-branded equipment, usually with some concession of features to keep the original brands a cut above. I would generally recommend going with name brands for this reason.

juro

See less See more
#2 ·
Updates:

(1) As of 2/2000, OS Systems had not gone forward with their breathable wader although they did develop kayak and drisuit technologies in breathable. I believe they think there is no market for their product and too much competition. Kind of a shame if you ask me!

(2) Also, per my over-enthused claim about "Simms and Khaki's", I wore the simms guide waders with a shirt pulled over the top to have breakfast in the Marshside (Dennis). They were dry and were the same color top to bottom. As fate would have it I was seated in the rear corner and my scuba boots were a dead giveaway and several people noticed. As far as comfort while I ate, no problem. Then I walked back into the water to fish after breakfast. Not quite khakis but certainly not something you'd do with neoprenes.

(3) Re-branded waders aren't necessarily inferior to brand name counterparts; for instance the Cabela's products sometimes negotiate very favorable price points for their customers and can sometimes provide better service as a national provider. Goes both ways.

#3 ·
I have two sets of waders, one set of neopremes, which like Juro said are comfortable in cold weather. My first pair were expensive, but lasted atleast 15 years, my son is still using them. The second pair are Cabela's which are the insulated ones, real cheap. They are atleast 8 years old. When it rains when I go deer hunting thats what I wear. I have walked thru many miles of woods with them, even shot deer while wearing them. Found a leak last year, and just used Goop to fix them, good as new. Those are what I wear when I go striper fishing, unless I am going fishing off the rocks, then I use felt bottom neopremes.Some commercials show guys floating around in neopremes, I haven't tried that yet.

#4 ·
Hi friends,

I have gone through a pair of neoprene waders, they were the Orvis Super Stretch 3mm kind. Expensive but OK. I had them for 8 years and used them a lot (pike fishing, float tubing, wore them day in day out on fishing trips in Alaska and Sweden) They are still OK, but for some holes that had to be fixed with Aquasure. I still use them but I'd rather get me a pair of 5 mm for better comfort when float tubing in the winter. Two years ago I got a pair of Orvis Clearwater Breathables. They are super comfortable but extremely thin. Last year when I went to Brittany, France, fish for atlantic salmon, my friends wife shrimpfly got caught in a wild raspberry bush next to shore. I offered to free the fly, made a step towards the plant, lost control and fell into the river after having been slowed down by the thorny bush. I remember fixing 72 holes in the left leg of the waders and there are still some more that leak. I learned my lesson well. I have got me a pair of Old Captain six-layer Gore-Tex waders from Italy (they sell them under the name Fishers Motion in the States) I have yet to find a pair of waders that is better built. Mine are custom-made: the usual kneepads of very thick material really wrap around the legs, offering maximum protection again thorns and other sharp or edged materials. The feet are made of 5mm material and come in a super comfortable design.I'll test the waders for good under alaskan conditions this year. One thing: they're not on the affordable side, over $400 (in Europe) for the custom design and about $300 for the regular model that retails for about $400 in the US.

#6 ·
Bourger -

I enjoyed hearing about your adventures with aquasure! Not because I enjoy your predicament, but since I have similar luck when being chivalrous to the ladies.
I imagine it's the same substance sold as "aquaseal" here in the states.

I would really be anxious to see the Old Captain's gore-tex... will you have them when you visit the Cape?

#7 ·
Juro,

You bet I'll bring my Old Captains to the Cape. I don't know if they'll survive a week of floating the Goodnews in Alaska, but they'll be part of the equipment this summer. The 5 mm neoprene feet might not be best choice in warmer weather but I don't care. I'll bring my Orvis-Clearwaters-Par-72 Waders Anyway.

As far as "goop" is concerned my flyshop carries the stuff under the name aqua"sure" in a green tube. The stuff they sell in the States is called aqua"seal" and is made by the same company. I have yet to find a difference between the products!

Regards,

Eric

#8 ·
Eric -

I look forward to your visit. We'll be following a tall order with Alaska fresh in your mind, but I think you will find a different yet incredible fishery on Cape Cod's sugar white sands, rushing tides and anxious gamefish.

I might have several pair of scuba boots that might work over your waders, which will make you much more comfortable when walking on deep and/or soft sandy stretches.

As the season gets going you will see the reports, and I am working on a 'getting started' article which will be followed by progressively more advanced information about stripers.

We will also have a visit from Pete (Calgary) in August, hopefully before I visit the PNW for dryfly steelhead at the end of the month.

This is promising to be another great season - if the fish ever arrive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.