Fly Fishing Forum banner

Long Island striper flies for next week

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brooklynangler 
#1 ·
Gents---

I plan to be a busy fly tyer this weekend in prep for my trip to Long Island next week.

Top flies I should be tying for what's around then?

I'm thinking

C+W Clouser
Flatwings
Bunker???

What else??

Thanks
Joe

#2 ·
Hey, Joe. I think you should be indicating whether you're going to be targeting these LI stripers during the day or at night. During the day, you'll need to book a charter captain to take you to the sight fishing spots. If you're fishing from shore, you're going to have a hard time catching a striper during the day with the bright sunlight and not too much bait near shore. Early morning and at darkness, maybe. Your choice of flies is good providing you get to show them to bass during these doldrum months during the day. Good luck on your day trips.

#3 ·
No charter here...

Unfortunately no charter here.

I'll be fishing at all times for five days in flats (Shinnecock), from the beach, and inlets.

When i said striper, I really meant any of the usual species on LI. I'm assuming I'll be seeing more blues than anything else, no?

Basically, I fished for years in the NYC bight using mostly clouser variations and simple flatwings and had decent luck. I'm open to other ideas ;)

I really appreciate it--

JoeW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.