Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyfishing Saint Martin

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  shaialude 
#1 ·
Does anyone have info Re:flyfishing opportunities on Saint Martin?I read a mention of Bonefish & Tarpon but cannot seem to find any details.
APG

#2 ·
My wife and I honeymooned in St. Martin this past June. We stayed at the Oyster Bay Beach Resort (now known as the Radisson at Oyster Bay, I believe). We hooked up with a bluewater guide service through the activities director at the resort, and we were able to get some bonito and yellowtail, but the highlight of the outing was connecting with a couple of wahoo on a fly and actually landing one.

As far as bonefish and tarpon are concerned, we weren't able to find any outfitters, but we didn't look too hard either (after all, it was a honeymoon ;) ). If you put the keywords Saint Martin and fishing into a search engine, you'll come up with some connections. That's how I was looking before we made our trip through the service at the resort.

Good luck to you.

#3 ·
My wife and I honeymooned there too, it was a great time but I didn't fish. Lots of big cuda, easy to spot around the docks. Bluewater charters easy to find along the coast. I didn't see any flats in the Florida Keys style during my travels, but then again I wasn't allowed to look.

Good luck!

#4 ·
In the absense of any specifics on locations, I would walk the beaches early morning once theres enough light and see what's about.

In Kauaii this year I learned that going on holiday without a fly rod is a mistake. Walking along one of the beaches where the reef comes right into the shore, I spotted numerous schools of small bonefish - this was mid day and there were lots of surfers, snorkelers and paddlers around.

Lesson learned, never go to the beach without a fly-rod!

#6 ·
St Martin fishing

Hi Allen,
Friend of Gene Matteson and cousin to R. Eannarino. I've been to St Martins and looked for fishing. Not much from shore. For Tarpon you might try the lagoon next to the butterfly farm, yes, such a place does exist. You'll see tarpon rolling over the surface on a calm day. Don't worry about reaching them, you'll be fishing from shore and they will be right on the edges of the bank. These are not the hogs that they show on television. The fish will range from 5 to 20 lbs.
Have just returned from Antigua and found the same situation. These are the fun size fish and would rather fish for them than the "giants." Spotting them is like ite fishing for bones. Contact me if you need mor info.
Ron Montecalvo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.