Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where to DIY in Bahamas

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I tried Cat Island (Pigeon Cay Beach Club) last April and enjoyed wading and kayaking for bones. I just booked tickets to Nassau for the last week in January 2010. Really cheap non-stop on Jet Blue from Boston. Anyway I'd appreciate any advice on another out island for fishing. I've read the Vletas book and hit the websites hard but they only tell you so much.

Primary considerations: 1) Ability to wade nearby. 2) Not totally isolated from other resorts/lodges. 3) Mixed use/Not only for fisherman (girlfriend might join me) 4) Possibly a whaler for rent. 5) decent food/honor bar

Thanks - Marty

#2 ·
Marty, I would say Acklins is out. Eleuthera might fit the bill, or the Abacos. I don't know much about the Abacos, but certainly know Eleuthera. Long Island might be a possibility too. They have some nice resorts up north that your girlfriend would probably like.

What do you mean by mixed use? A beach to go to? Lots of action and night life?

And "ability to wade nearby" -- do you mean within walking distance, or within a short drive.

And lastly, "not totally isolated from other lodges/resorts"--do you mean you want them next door or within walking distance?

#3 ·
re: DIY Bahamas

Vince,

By mixed use I mean a place that strictly not a bonefish lodge and might have kayaks for rent. Again, something that might be compatible for a non-fishing girlfriend. I know that's tough.

Ideally I'd like to not need to rent a car but would if necessary. In lieu of that a place that has flats within a 20 minute walk or bike ride would be fine.

Lastly I'm not looking for an active night life. Just a place that has some options perhaps or interesting people to meet. After 6 hours of wading, maybe some snorkling and a good meal I consider that a full day.

I've been researching Seascape Inn, Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros but I also like the looks of Eleuthera, Exumas and Acklins.

Marty

#4 ·
Grand Bahama

I haven't been to lots of the Bahamas, but you can do DIY on Grand Bahama and Freeport certainly would be mixed use. There are flats you can walk onto and there are boats for rent in Freeport. Worth a look, I'd say.

Bjorn

#6 ·
If you didn't mention lady friend and nightlife I would suggest Acklins. We have a wealth of information that would make it easy for you, not to mention a great host Felton Rolle.

However my guess is under these requirements Grand Bahama sounds like the right place per Pete's post.

#8 ·
The oool DIY dilemma

I have tried DIY on three different islands now in the Bahamas and have had moderate luck, but by far the best success for me has been Long Island. You can walk off the plane and rent a car (in questionable shape, but no deposit required) for $50 at either Stella Maris or Deadman's Cay, and there are loads and loads of driveable flats on the west side. The east side (ocean) is pretty rough and tumble, but there are some gem spots if you look around. Granted, people are cool all around once you get out of Nassau, but I absolutely loved Long Island and the people there. In my limited experience, Long Island is the best I've found so far. Plenty of decent and inexpensive places to stay too. Andros is absolutely killer but damn near impossible to get around on your own without a boat. Good luck

#10 ·
Great Exuma might be one you'd like to try. It has everything you mentioned you were looking for and the fishing is very good from flats you can drive to.

Send me a PM if you're interested in more details.

Eric

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
MartyG said:
I tried Cat Island (Pigeon Cay Beach Club) last April and enjoyed wading and kayaking for bones. I just booked tickets to Nassau for the last week in January 2010. Really cheap non-stop on Jet Blue from Boston. Anyway I'd appreciate any advice on another out island for fishing. I've read the Vletas book and hit the websites hard but they only tell you so much.

Primary considerations: 1) Ability to wade nearby. 2) Not totally isolated from other resorts/lodges. 3) Mixed use/Not only for fisherman (girlfriend might join me) 4) Possibly a whaler for rent. 5) decent food/honor bar

Thanks - Marty
In Mangrove Cay, South Andros Island, you can work with either the Mangrove Cay Inn or the Blue Hole Cabin

<non-sponsor links removed - please read the membership agreement>

Both places can set you up with independent guides, or point you off in the right
do-it-yourself direction. You might want to think about bringing an inflatable
kayak, which can be taken as a luggage item. Or talk to Eddie Bannister about
renting a small power boat.

#12 ·
salmobytes said:
In Mangrove Cay, South Andros Island, you can work with either the Mangrove Cay Inn or the Blue Hole Cabin
<non-sponsor links removed - please read the membership agreement>
I thought that was about competition to this forum. Those are lodging sites.
And they answer the question that was asked. The internet is all about
exchanging information. I'd say this policy makes this site....dissappointing,
we'll say. I guess I'll take a powder. :)

#13 ·
Thanks for your opinion.

I too find it disappointing that providing this free resource can be a struggle at times. I realize you just joined but this is the policy in place that helps keep the lights on thu sponsor contributions.

Enjoy the site.
Juro

#14 ·
juro said:
......... but this is the policy in place that helps keep the lights on thu sponsor contributions.
Juro
Just to continue to be difficult (I said I'd take a powder, but I haven't managed
it yet......:)))

Google ads alone will easily cover the cost of running a website.
....20 bucks a month for shared hosting
....40 bucks a month for "virtual private server"
....100 bucks a month for a real dedicated server.

I have a boat-related site (I didn't spam it and I won't) that clears 100 bucks
a month in Google ads alone. And almost anybody can install and
moderate a forum. Users on my (not spammed) forum often post
links to my competition. I don't complain.

I think it helps to build a respectful, loyal following........
when you don't filter information for marketing reasons. This is a great site.
But now I have to second-guess the quality of any suggestion, because
I know so much other information is lurking, hidden behind marketing policy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.