Fly Fishing Forum banner

Off season get together?

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  FrenchCreek 
#1 ·
Not long ago it was proposed, in passing, that we should get together at a convenient bar/restaurant for an off season session. This is an area that I may be of some assistance in so I figured I'd broach the topic again and get a feel for the forum's venue needs.

First of all, there is no chance of brokering a deal pre-New Years because X-mas/Holiday parties have already been booked and establishments don't need your business. After Jan. 1st, though, the financial and traditional hangovers kick in and the paying, drinking public hibernates until St. Patrick's Day. That would be the ideal time to put a gathering together.

I have a place in Boston in mind but what seems convenient to me may, in fact, be terribly inconvenient for a majority of members so I'm throwing this out to the group far in advance.

If there is interest in this I'll need some parameters to work with:

1. What day(s) of the week are preferable? Times?

2. What actual dates do you have open(we all have hectic schedules so nailing down a concrete date is a great way to start)?

3. Is this dinner, or appetizers, or drinks only, or a combination?

4. My goal is $0 cost to each person, but, if I have to grease someone to get a private area what is the general consensus as to a dollar amount per man?(By the way, when I say free that would include the use of a private area and most likely the beer. This all depends on question #5)

5. How many people would be attending?

6. If the place I'm considering works out there is a possibility that you could all bring your vices and materials and turn it into a tying clave WITH libations. Does that interest anyone?

This is obviously a pre-pre-pre-preliminary fact finding mission. Bars/restaurants in Boston and the surrounding towns are my area of expertise, though, so if I'm ever going to make myself useful it would be in this way.

Let me know what you think and I'll see if I can set the wheels in motion if everyone is agreeable with it. Any other ideas I may have missed are welcome as well.

~Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me start this off...

I am open from mid-January on - with advanced notice I can make myself free. In terms of day of the week I think it should depend on whether or not people want to tie flies. If so - a weekend date may be better. Otherwise I am game for drinks and appetizers only. Weekends or a Friday night are best for me.

Boston area - great for me.

Bro - as things pan out I will assist in any way that I can.

See you soon,

Mike

#4 ·
January: Sound perfect

location: Boston is great for me but I'm willing to travel if need be.

day of the week: Most nights are o.k. but with school starting it would depend on the actual day selected.

cost: I've attended a similar thing - the room was free provided we ate/drank and made it worth the waitstaff's while. If we nee to kick in some green, I have no problem doing so. How's $15 sound as a high?

tying: I personally would only confuse the galley with my "skills", I'll bring my peanuts instead...

rooms: Maybe somebody is a member of a social club that could house us for an evening.

great Idea, thanks for doing the dog work.

#8 ·
Just a thought...since I suspect folks will be there anyway...
Marlboro Fly Fishing Show...18, 19,20 January...An unofficial get together in the lounge after closing Saturday? We could target the Wilmington show as well...
An "official" Boston gathering would be awesome!

#11 ·
You can fulfill all your requirements by getting a table (or two) at the CCA dinner on March 8th at the Burlington Marriott. Good dinner and drinks, lots of comraderie, plenty of gear being auctioned, raffled and given away, and it all supports a worthwhile organization. It won't be free and you'd look a little silly tying flies over dinner, but you're sure to have a good time.

#12 ·
Sign me up !
I'm game for dinner/drinks, and I think bringing the wife is a great idea. She thinks "Striblue" is what happens to your thumb after a long day on the flats, and "Roop", must be some kind of code for " bring the beer". I keep telling her, "you gotta meet these guys". I think they all deserve to acompany us once in a while. Remember: the offseason is when we need to spend quality time with the family and bank some hours for when they are needed. But, whatever is slated, I'll be there.

#13 ·
Hey Jeff,

Yes, a few months ago Tim mentioned he had a friend who often went fly fishing. I put 2&2 together and I figured it was you. We'll have to get together some time during the season. Hopefully this gathering will work out for January.

~Mark

#16 ·
FWIW,
If tieing is involved as part of the get together then the duration of time involved gets considerably longer. A quick 'social' could be snacks and beverages, whereas the former run long enough where 'reel' food would be needed (you can see I rarely skip a meal!).
In either case I'm interested, thanks for giving this some momentum.
(But what's all this talk about an 'off-season'?)

#18 ·
It's a good idea, but, we should look for a site closer to Marlboro is we want to pull a "fly show/get together" off.

The problem is that my influence doesn't extend to Marlboro so I'm as in the dark as anyone out there.

If guys were really serious about the trek from the left coast we should do everything in our power to accomodate them.

The dates on the show are Jan 18, 19 and 20, 2002

~Mark

#20 ·
Sadly I will miss this one since wife and I are off to Hawaii that week-end. Looking at dates I'll also miss out on the New Jersey show. On the one hand that's probably not a bad thing since I always end up spending way to much at the shows. On the other hand, the shows for me mark the count-down to the start of the new season. Hopefully there will be other events and I'll catch up with the crowd over the coming months.

#21 ·
Great idea to get together during the winter months.

I happen to know Marlborough pretty well, and think Rocco's right by the highway would be a good place. Depending on how many attend we could get a section or area for the group.
The have decent food at a resonable price, beer on tap, full bar. as far as tying flies, Not sure they would appreciate the glue or epoxy in the restaurant if using that. I'll be happy to talk to the manager if your'e interested.

I would expect most people may want to spend most of the time at the show if there's events the want to take in so the tying flies might not be in the cards anyway. Guess that depends on what the group wants to do.

Greg.

#23 ·
I agree with FishHawk on that.. Tying may be too time consuming and a social would IMHO work better. I think we will be having our annual Flytying clave anyway later in the winter. The central location at the marlboro show seems like a good spot.

#24 ·
A social sounds good to me since my greatest tying exploits involve double knots on my son's shoes.

Marlboro it is, and I would imagine we could merely pick a suitable gathering spot and show up unannounced. Any establishments come to mind?

~Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.