Fly Fishing Forum banner

Brads simple but deadly fly swap entry

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
This is Brads entry in the simple but deadly fly swap. I'll let Brad enter the recipe (and include that fish picture)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Scud recipe and Fish

Scud hook 12-18
Thread to Match color
Commercial scud dubbing with flashy fibers

Tie on thin copper wire for the rib past the bend. Dub thick and loose and wind rib. Tie off rib and whip finish. Pick out legs, trim top and sides down to the rib. One can add a mylar flash back if the water is murky but otherwise leave it off. Color matters a great deal so I tie them in 8 colors in all 4 sizes. Fish is a 27" brown that took a size 18 orange scud.

Attachments

#7 ·
I have had the most success with scuds fishing tailwaters and lakes. The key for me is to match the size and color of what the fish are eating, seining the river really helps. The trout seem to key on the color of scuds more than any other fly that I know of. I fish them dead drift with a strike indicator as near to the bottom as possible. I will often fish 2 or 3 at a time until I hit on exactly the right size and color. I also use a scud as the top fly in a nymph rig with a size 22-26 midge or RS-2 below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.