Fly Fishing Forum banner

Redington Wayfarer 5pc $139

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  nevada caster 
#1 ·
I'm posting for Smitty the computer challenged at Rodbuilders workshop

I was in his shop Saturday and noticed a great price on a decent rod. He's got Redington Wayfarers sized 4wt-10wt in the 5pc models on sale for $139 usually $195.

He also has some discontinued Cortland lines for 40-60% off.

I just figured I'd post it here since there are surely some lurkers who are thinking about getting into fly fishing and have not posted yet. Not a bad backup rod for the price. You go cast it and be the judge...

#3 ·
rod.

Is there a 10' 7wt availible?

#4 ·
Yes, and yes.

I believe there is at least one 10wt and one 10' 7wt available last time I spoke with Smitty.

Your best bet is to either call him or let one of us in the same calling area know you are serious and we'll make the call locally on your behalf due to long distance charges, etc.

But hurry!

#6 ·
I don't know what they classify the action as, best bet would be to cast one. I have only cast a 7wt once, it seemed similar to the sage DS2. You've got to be the judge when it comes to what action fits your style. One thing is for sure though, these fit my wallet. I've had excellent service from Redington on waders and my 4pc I've turned into a 5pc more than once:rolleyes:

#7 ·
They're what I would call a hair below fast action, sort of an upper medium-fast. This is with a 5-pc. 9' 8-wt., BTW, but I would imagine that the rest of the rods in that length would be similar. Saw the write up about the NTi Quartz rods in the FFA yearly gear review. Can't see spending $725 for one rod, but that's just me.

#14 ·
The wayfarer series recently changed. The new series come in 6 pieces. This gives the low budget flyfisherman amongst us a good chance to get the 5 or 7 piece series for outlet-prices, whithout loosing the excellent lifetime warranty (broke my 9ft 8wt 2 times the past 2 years).
If you are looking for these I would suggest to check out internetsites where theres a lot of things for sale/auction, Ebay for example. I had a very good deal 2,5 years ago where I bought 3 wayfarers and paid just about 400 dollars for them, including import-taxes and shipping to europe.
Good luck!

#15 ·
These rods seem made to break. I am not sure if it is because of the low quality blank or the walls are just too thin. I have broken by 7.5 ft 4wt twice - it is the only rod I have ever broken in my life. Both times it occurred right at the beginning of the season. I have had it for 3 years and only used it about 5 times. That said, they are very good with the lifetime warranty and replacements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.