Fly Fishing Forum banner

Simple but deadly fly swap?

4K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
Regardless of where and what I fish for, I find that I end up using flies that are quick to tie, suggest several appetizing things to fish, and that don't bother me if they are lost in a snag. To me these flies eg wooly buggers, soft hackle wets, clouser minnows, etc are simple but deadly flies. They consist of only a couple of materials, can be assembled quickly, and most importantly catch fish.

So is anyone interested in a swap of simple but deadly fly's. It would be interesting to do this accross all the different species, and waters that we as a group fish.

#2 · (Edited)
John... that's a great idea and something I am trying to get going on the striper board... the basic fly swaps get to be tedious after a while and people lose interest....but if you do a specific pattern...keep the number of flies down... but keep the participation as large as you want... I think that makes for more interest and is not torture even with a large number of participants, etc. Even though ,say with 20 participants ,not all will get each persons fly..but they will get 6 different for the 6 they tie and I will be posting photo's of all of them anyway for those that did not get copies of the balance flies.

#5 ·
I'm in, I was thinking of doing another atlantic salmon swap but will save that for later.

Some of the great lakes steelhead flies are also deadly for trout and bass, a matter of fact some times thats all I catch with them.

Let us know the specifics

Fred, don't worry I was not thinking about the reengineered Otis Bug will keep that to myself for a while. Plus there is still some more reeingineering to take it to the next level of fish irrestaibility. That young (one year old) skipper steelhead jumped all over it last friday, but was gone in a chromer flash. Great lakes fall steelheaders will know what I mean. :chuckle:

#6 ·
Thanks for the interest everyone. I'll let this run for a couple more days to see what interest is generated, then get some specifics together. It should be interesting to see what patterns people send in.

John, I agree that a theme swap adds interest. Are you in on this one.

#8 ·
John D.

Can we ensure that the participants in this type of (deadly) fly swap do not coexist in each participant's geographical area.

I would not want to provide my deadly flies to some one who I may be following on the river on the same day ?

Just a thought, you know how paranoid us fly fishers are with our secret deadly flys. :D

LOL

Hal

#12 ·
Striblue

Sure I will fed ex them out to a pure salt water fly fisher colleague who is a 1,300+ miles away from my waters any time. No risk to me as long as you promise to also not put the pictures on the internet and their instructions etc. .:devil:

John D.

Nice picture and fly. Those fly spinners were popular 20-30 years ago or more. I tried them a few times long ago but don't think I was very successful and with me being a Catskills holy water no kill purist raised trout fisherman I felt like I was sinning on each cast of them. :tsk_tsk:

Look forward to the swap info.

Hal

#13 ·
Larry, welcome to the swap. Info on the swap will be sent out on Monday.

Hal, Sometimes I just have to be a devils advocate. :hehe: I never caught anything other than panfish on the spinner. Bass didn't like it and it scared the bejeebers out of a carp. Now it resides in a tree overhanging a honey hole of mine.

#14 ·
Great Idea, I'm in. I have a buddy who ties the most perfect AK Best quill body parachute beatis drys that you have ever seen. The problem is that he only ties about 4 an hour. My mantra is KISS when it comes to fly tying. I'm heading up to WY this weekind to chase the big boys with a simple new streamer. If it works well again that will be the swap fly.

Cheers

#21 · (Edited)
Update

Simple but deadly fly swap participants:

DblHaul
Fred Evans
PMflyfisher
Shadfreak
Dave Fix
Brad
Eddie
Myself

Since we only have 7 people interested in this swap, tie 6 flies, of any type, for any fish. The only restriction is that they are simple to tie. Include a tying recipe & return postage and mail to me by January 7’th, at my home address sent via PM. I will photograph the flies for the archive, divvy them up and mail them out to the participants.

#26 · (Edited)
Striblue

Just 7 more days until my one year anniversary on the board and still have not got censured yet, at least I don't think I have. Will never catch up to you though, I think I am still a thousand down.

Better watch out though once I get the digital fly picture taking figured out this winter !:whoa:

John D.

Assume this is a freshwater simple fly swap ? I don't think any one would want my simple salt water flies but I guess I could do some lefty deceivers

Hal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.