Fly Fishing Forum banner

Seeking Fly Donations for Fundraiser Raffles

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
The Forum will be holding raffles at the various fly fishing shows, beginning with the Marlboro show (January 17 - 19), in order to raise funds to help pay for subsequent shows and the server upgrade.

One of the raffle ideas is to raffle off a box (or boxes) of "go to" flies tied by Forum members. When I say "go to" fly, I mean the first fly that you would tie on when you hit the water. Of course, this usually depends on the fishing conditions and type of fish you are trying to catch, so it would be important to include that information with the fly. If many different members each submit one or two flies, the result would be an incredible assortment of flies, with each fly being somebody's "go to" fly for a given condition. If enough flies are received we will sort them into categories for saltwater, trout, salmon, warmwater, etc., so that we can hold a raffle for each category.

So . . . Here's what I'm looking for: One or two "go to" flies (or more, if you wish) with the name of the fly, the type of fish or general category that the fly is for, and the conditions in which you would fish the fly (e.g., springtime high water, deep water, fast current, flats, night time, etc.). This information will be included with the flies. If you wish, you may include your Forum username so that the winner can let you know about their success with your fly.

If you would like to donate a fly, please respond here or by PM or email and I will send you my address.

Thanks!

Q

See less See more
#5 ·
Striblue and I will be picking up the display cases that go to the winner with flies mounted and labelled. These cases are quite large and make an incredible addition to a den or office.

Then there is the notion of winning a season's supply of killer flies - not just for display. I think the way this is going to work is:

1) we will purchase the display case(s) one for Sat, and one for Sun. We will select flies to mount in this case and raffle it off as one raffle item.

2) we will also put all flies that won't fit into the glass cases into large flyboxes and raffle them off as well.

That way whether people bring one or many flies they will all be helpful contributions in one raffle or the other.

#7 ·
Doc,

I'm only collecting flies for the Marlboro show, and only need one or two from each donor for the raffle I'm organizing. Those flies should be sent to me (I'll PM the address). There are other people bringing flies to the show to raffle those as well, and if you would like to do that instead of (or in addition to) what I'm putting together then you should certainly feel free to do so. We'll take 'em any way we can get 'em! :D

Q

#13 ·
Thanks for all the offers :cool:

Maybe I didn't clearly explain what I'm trying to accomplish with this particular raffle. I really only need one or two "go to" flies from each donor, but feel free to send more if you wish :D (see below). For this raffle I'm looking for a variety of different flies for different types of fish and/or different situations. The intent is to create a diverse selection of flies, each of which is somebody's "go to" fly for a particular species or situation, together with information about the conditions/species/situations (whatever is applicable) that would cause you to choose that fly as your first pick.

That said, please don't let me discourage you from submitting multiple flies of the same type. That would be great too! In that case, I'll put together the variety pack (or packs, depending on how many flies I receive) using some of the flies, and then put the rest of the flies into one of the other sets of flies we will be raffling.

And, in case anybody is wondering, I will not be keeping any of the flies for my own use no matter how tempting that will be :devil: ! I will also be donating several of my own "go to" flies.

Thanks again!

Q

#14 ·
Quentin -

First and foremost, thank you for taking charge. Yes, I agree - we definitely need a "one goto fly" collection for the display case (wood frame, glass cover).

If people are compelled to offer additional flies, we will have plenty of fly cases available for additional raffle items.

My belief is that one highly desirable raffle item is the best approach, however we could get more ticket sales if there were more chances to win and everybody loves flies tied by experienced hands!

I suggest staying on the 'goto' fly display case as the grand prize, but by all means we appreciate additional flies for getting more prizes into the mix, thus making it more tempting for people to purchase raffle tickets.

And BTW -

It's customary that we DO each give a fly to the meister!

#17 ·
Thanks Hal, can't wait to see 'em!

Eddie, you may send as many as you would like to donate. We will use one of each type in the "go to" fly collection and use the rest for additional prizes.

Actually, perhaps I was the one who was a little slow :hehe: . I thought we were planning to do several raffles, one of which will be the "go to" fly raffle. Based on Juro's post, it sounds like he is planning to do one raffle with multiple prizes. Either way, we will gladly accept all fly donations.

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.