Fly Fishing Forum banner

North Carolina Bogue Banks - Cape Lookout areas

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  titleguy 
#1 ·
Will be visiting this area in first week of November. Is there any fly fishing available for saltwater species this time of year? What species may be available? Would 8 or 10 weight rods suffice? Any insites are appreciated.

#2 ·
Absolutely!!!!
World class Fly fishing for false albacore will be in full swing. November has become the best month. 10 wt.

Offshore fly fishing (wrecks and reefs) for kingfish, false albacore and other species is available with the right guide/boat. 10wt.

There may be fly fishing for redfish and seatrout in the sound, marshes, and rivers. 8wt or 10 wt depending on size of reds.

Capt. Gordon used to frequent this site. He is down that way. Maybe Juro or someone else has his contact information.

Beautiful area and great fishing. Have a great time!

Jim

#3 ·
My brother and I own the world's most expesnive double wide on Harkers and I have fished the albies a fair bit. Contact Rob Pasfield at Harker's Island Fishing Center or you might check out Brian Horsley and Sara Gardner's website- they guide out of the fishing center until early December- good folks who have also found another amazing fishery for huge redfish on the east side of the shoals.

You really need a boat to have consistent fishing, but you can wade " The Hook" where the channel between Shackleford and Cape Lookout goes into the Atlantic. You can also wade on the outside around the "Rock Jetty"- you take a ferry out from the Fishing Center. There are also some wading spots to west at Atlantic Beach ( check Joe Shute's on Atlantic Beach for info there) I have hooked albies at Fort Macon.

Fun place.

Hey Jim- what's happening?:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.