Fly Fishing Forum banner

Casco Bay Clave

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CascoBay 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,
I am having trouble trying to narrow down a specific location for the clave that would allow for the following: camping accomadations, Boat ramps, and quality fishing for mulitiple anglers from shore. The majority of the camping spots are going to require driving to locations and boat ramps can become clogged on the weekends in this area.
If anyone has advise for me on the essentials for a clave please PM me. Perhaps I am trying too hard to find the perfect spot. Here's the skinny, If we were base the thing out of southern ME... We would have a plethora of rivers, schoals, ledges and beaches to fish, with boat access being limited to the Saco River. If we based out of the yarmouth/ Freeport area, it would be approximately 30-40 minute drives south to Saco, Kennebunk, scarbourough etc... But the fishing from boats with all the islands and depth changes would be ideal.. Let me know what the vote is, I am not a boat owner so I am adapt at searching out wade fishing locations in the area.
Let me know,
Aaron

#2 ·
Aaron. Meistering a Clave is loads of fun so long as it is kept simple. I only have one under my belt so I'm no expert, but this I know from experience. Others will chime in to help and give needed advice. First and foremost is choice of location. Going to have to leave that up to you and any fellow Forum members familiar with the fishery and current conditions. For the first clave I suggest picking a spot that's hot and very close to a camping spot and is wadable. The Kennebec was mentioned earlier. June is a tough month and way too short to get a large group. Lots of people will be fishing their favorite spots at that time. If the bite is really good they will come!

This is a great opportunity to do a sortie type clave with a smaller than usual group and build from there for next year. Keeps it simple and get things started.
Best of luck and thanks very much for getting this rolling. I for one an vey excited and may bring my wife and daughter so they can shop while we fish.

Phil

#3 ·
Aaron,

I would agree with Phil on this one. Keep it simple. I would also focus on the wader more than the boaters as my guess is that will be the majority makeup of a clave crowd. I wouldn't worry too much about crowded ramps either. They tend to be pretty empty or at least have room at 4 a.m. in my experience. Although, I don't know if tidal fluctuations in your area mean only launching at certain times.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.