Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonefish in Maui

19K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Tin Pusher 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Does anyone have some recommendations for bonefish flies to use in Maui. I am figuring on the usual gotchas, charlies, and deceivers but dont know what colors would be best? Any other patterns that you would recommend?
Thanks
Have a great day
Eric

#2 ·
Hi Techno

Sound like you're on the right track. I do a Kauaii trip each year and according to the local net fishermen there are bonefish around. Expect all sorts of stuff inshore around the reef edges. I would pack a few deceiver/general baitfish patterns as well as the usual bonefish stuff.

Have fun & let us know how you get on. This is a relatively uncharted area for the long rod.

#5 ·
Nervous Waters link

nervouswaterhawaii.com/about.html
Shop is run by two good guys (Clayton and Kevin). Good fly tiers and the shop has a good assortment of tying material, misc stuff, some good reels, but few rods.
Pack wisely.
Mitch

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips so far, keep it up!

I am staying in south Kihei so I will be fishing the south western strip mostly.

I am not expecting the Bonefishing to be great (with all the pressure the locals put on the game fish) but I suspect I will see some variety in species and have a chance for some.

The trip is not a fly fishing specific trip but I know that I will be able to get out early most mornings and spend a few hours, so I thought I may as well give it a try. I will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again,

#8 ·
If youre in Kihei, it's worth your while to drive down to Molokini. Fish the beach early before the swimmers show up. You'll want a type II-III sink line, and fairly large (size 2 - 1/0) tan shrimp and crab flies. Going down to Perouse park and further south is a great hike, but you'll get mostly jacks and goatfish. I've always wanted to take a day hike with a fishing rod south of La Perouse bay but never got to it.

#9 ·
I forgot to ask...

Is it worth getting fluorocarbon tippet or is mono good enough?
What weight tippet do you recommend? I am unsure what the coral/rock/lava will be like, but I assume that will be more of a concern with a fish-on than anything else.

Thanks again!

#10 ·
Maui

Techno
I just got back from the kihea area. It wasnt a fishing trip but I did get out for a few days and checked the area out. The shallow water at kihea seems to get real dirty, the trade winds blow up weeds on the beach every morning, I was lodging right on that beach and noticed it every morn. Going south to the park was great and picked up a bunch of fish, dont know my salt water fish species yet so what they where I dont know. But I didnt see any bones, probably there but there is no flats to speak of, water is deeper real quick for the most part, and lots of volcanic rock everywhere down there, I threw clousers blind and just stripped and had all sorts of stuff hit it. Going up the coast way past Lahina{sp} had some fairly shallow bays, again with a lot of sharp rocks but know sight type fishing that I could find. Dont make to much of it mentally and just enjoy being out there and you will catch fish.
blueh20

#11 ·
Check out the "ultimate guide series" by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman.

Not fishing specific but great beach/reef info (snorkeling oriented) with lots of detail - maps and arial pics which suggest potential reef spots worth exploring. I have the Kauai guide and they have one for Maui - "Maui Revealed", published by Wizard publications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.