Fly Fishing Forum banner

FF goodies under the tree?

5K views 47 replies 32 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I ended up with a great new pair of Simms guide weight waders, folding wading staff, techwick pullover to wear on cool fishing days, and a tiny yet super bright light for my vest.

How'd you fare this Merry Christmas morning?

#3 · (Edited)
Lots of flyfishing goodies ofcourse...but I did finally get a decent digi cam...a Canon A40 (Juro...isnt this the model you have?).

So anways...now I am in frustrated gerbil mode as I try to troubleshoot why my computer will not reconize the camera.

Thought it might be a problem with my USB Port....but my scanner is running fine of them.

Been back and forth, loading and reloading the programs included with the camera...tried loading a driver off of Canon's website but it was a driver that was loaded with the install cd.:confused:

#4 ·
P.S.
Greatest gift of all was my 2 sons committing themselves to learning to FFish with me this year. The Bow will NEVER BE THE SAME! and the Pikers will be in constant fear from now on. It justifies buying my new Clack drifter and the 18 Ft. power boat (although that was last year!)

#5 ·
I am now digitaly empowered! When I can get through the 150 pages of instructions that came with it I can start bothering you on how to post pics. During albie season I decided that I had to have a top of the line reel, I decided on a Valintine, when my wife heard that it would be my spring toy and saw the price she almost croaked! The gift cert. from my daughters will get me off on a good start to my quest. I can`t wait to start making up for 40 yrs. of never having a camera on me.
Slinger

#6 ·
Are You Kidding... no FF stuff for me... except for a little acrylic paper weight with a salmon fly embeded... Great day ...tied some flies and had a family gathering at the house and showed my relatives my flies... they all wanted to know where the bait went on the hook...

#7 ·
New Simms Guide waders to keep the toes warm and dry. No complaints with that but was hoping Striblue had cut a contract with Santa to distribute the new invisible wader. Maybe striblue did cut a contract with Santa and all of us got a pair and they are hanging on the our fireplace mantel as invisible as can be.

Also got two payed days of fly fishing as a bonus from work and that was great.

Hope you all had a great holiday.
OC

#8 ·
I received some great gifts for Christmas and a recent birthday, including a Canon A40 digital camera (plus accessories), Bob Popovics "Pop Fleyes", Ross's "The Fisherman's Ocean" and some compact water-resistant binoculars. Woo Hoo!

Q

#12 ·
Ryan -

Yes, I have the A40 and love it, especially the advanced features like playing with exposure times and stuff for night photos.

Do yourself a favor and go pick up a SANDISK usb->compact flash memory reader for $20! You never need to connect the camera to the computer, just use the little direct adapter. It never needs batteries and saves the ones in the camera, and it is blindingly fast compared to the sluggish camera download.

I upgraded to the 128mb card as well, the 8mb is barely enough for a morning on the water. $50 at costco.

#13 ·
Daughter bought me a bottle of Inchmurrin 10 year old single malt (small family run distillery - anybody familiar with it?).

My son bought me a gift cert. to Home Depot and a bunch of stuff he left at the register. He went to the Bears Den to get me a gift cert. but it was closed. Go figure.

Got a fishin calender with a tip for each day from my sister-in-law.

Got a gift cert. to Fishing the Cape.

#14 ·
Distillery Information

Fred A,
Inchmurrin/Old Rhosdhu
Producer: William Morton
Region: Highlands
District: Western Highlands
Operating Status (1999): operating

Inchmurrin is a monastic island in Loch Lomond. Just south of the loch, albeit in surroundings that owe more to industrial archaeology, the single malt of the same name is made. The distillery is called Loch Lomond and it has a second malt, Old Rhosdhu Loch Lomond is able to make more than one malt because its pot stills are of an unusual design, and can produce whiskies of different weights.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/loch_lomond.htm

#16 ·
I also have the Canon A40 since September and still don't have down how to take a good close up picture of a fly. Everything else though is fine and it appears to be a good product.

Roger on the 128 MB sans disk memory card, glad I got that right away.

Don't have the SANdisk memory card reader, downloading directly from the camera to the PC has not been a big issue for me yet. Have to check the sales if its only $ 20-30 will get it.

PM Out

#19 ·
As far as cameras are concerned I have a type of Floppy disk which fits into the A drive . You insert the memory card in that and don't need to download from the carema..very convient..but the speed is about the same..but quick to install and use as oppose to plugging in the camera , etc.

#20 ·
Craig...I tried to send a PM..but your mail box is full... I have the Sony, P- something.very small and at the time I bought it it had 3.2 pics... I think they make one this year in the 4's.. Love it, small, easy to use, easy to down load, and With a couple 128 memory cards..It'sperfect... always had great luck with Sony products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.