Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hood Canal

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
I will be visiting my son in mid April. He lives just off the Seabeck Highway NW on the Hood Canal shore. There is a small estuary right near his home with a bridge overpassing it. I want to do some fishing in the area and would love to know where to go. We will try and rent a boat but at this point it is wade only. Could anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Phil

#2 ·
Bonefishmon,

If the sea run cutthroat fishing is still as good as it used to be you will have a ball by boat or by shore. If the estuary you are talking about is just north of town that may be off limits if it is the one I'm thinking of. But there are so many places to fish and I recall a beautiful bay just south of Seabeck with a creek feeding into it and one of the most lovely farm house you will ever lay eyes on. I don't know how to get to it by land as I would anchor there fro time to time and fish out of the dink and do very well. So if you have a boat you will get there very easily. Remember that in Washington State shore line is way too private so ask permission or find one of the many public sites you can park at. You will also need a license and get a clam permit too because there are many oysters to shuck.

have fun
OC

#3 ·
Phil -

I highly recommend contacting Leland Miyawaki at the Bellevue Orvis Store. You can't do better than that for having a great time in that area.

April is a good time for blackmouth (resident king salmon) as well as ocean dolly varden, cutts and resident coho salmon. It's also a good time to take a reasonable drive out to the Peninsula for steelhead (read up on the regs as April is encroaching on the protected season).

Halibut are inside the sound and there is often a slot ocean king salmon fishery not too far from Hood Canal.

Or just enjoy the dungeness crab, oysters and butter clams.

#4 ·
Thanks OC. Just read about the spot you speak of. Very close by. Farm looks good from space too!!!! Juro. I'll give Leland a call soon. The OP is way to big and much too much driving without someone along such as a guide. I'll be wasting precious time. Tried that the last time out without a guide. Not productive. Plan to do some climbing as well above The Ridge. Maybe a Glacier or two.

Phil

#5 ·
Thanks OC. Just read about the spot you speak of. Very close by. Farm looks good from space too!!!! Juro. I'll give Leland a call soon. The OP is way to big and much too much driving without someone along such as a guide. I'll be wasting precious time. Tried that the last time out without a guide. Not productive. Plan to do some climbing as well above The Ridge. Maybe a Glacier or two.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.