Fly Fishing Forum banner

Do u use fluorocarbon?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Here's a trick I learned using fluorocarbon that might help the advid angler.

Just replaced my nylon whip line on my Homelite Weedeater with .080 Fluorocarbon leader material. Works really great.

Now I can sneak up on crickets, earth worms, moths and other insects. Completely stealth proof.

Why didn't I think of this before?

Once in a while a car would go by.... hear them yell out, "Hey mister...... you're out of trimming line!" I just laugh and snicker.... Haven't they ever heard of fluorocarbon.

#4 ·
I'm working on other project with this material. What if we start make gill nets out of fluorocarbon? No one will complain about them while fishing anymore....cause no one will see them. Might decimate the fish stock though.

Imagine using these nets to trap jet skiers. I think we created a new cottage industry for this material. Sorta like what the space program did for fly rods with the use of graphite and titanium.

Any other ideas or hints?

#5 ·
RayStachelek (08-07-2001 09:56 a.m.):
I'm working on other project with this material. What if we start make gill nets out of fluorocarbon? No one will complain about them while fishing anymore....cause no one will see them. Might decimate the fish stock though.

Imagine using these nets to trap jet skiers. I think we created a new cottage industry for this material. Sorta like what the space program did for fly rods with the use of graphite and titanium.

Any other ideas or hints?
H'mm lets see, my approach to starting this industry ;) is to get an SBIR grant from the Department of Defense for "Non-Lethal Methods of Threat Elimination" to develop flurocarbon netting to stop water craft. Heck it might actually work.

#6 ·
Maybe with intense lobbying of Congress and the NMFS we could get longlining, gillnetting and other types of large scale commercial fishing oriented usages of mono or fluoro banned and legislation passed to accomplish something like what John suggested. 'Nuff said.

#7 ·
Mono gillnetting is the scourge of endangered salmonids in the pacific northwest, it does not discriminate what it kills. I agree that native americans should have the right to subsist on historical salmon runs, but if so then they should use historical methods. Non-Indian commercial salmon fishing should be conducted by hook and line only offshore, and by the use of weirs once in the river to prevent the deaths of dwindling native species mixed into the returning populations.

Longlining is another indiscriminate method that creates many miles of death of pelagic species that are too valuable to waste. Yet international regulations requires that many species that die on the line are discarded on location - like 1000 pound swordfish. Foriegn long-liners have recorded innumerable swordfish cut from the lines dead in compliance of these laws. The law is not the problem, it's the dichotomy between the long line method and the law protecting the species. Eliminate the indiscriminate methods and the law will have the desired effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.