Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonefish Lures?

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
I know the gains phillips wiggle jiogs are popular and something called a spin charlie. Any help on where to find such things? Any other lure suggestions? My father is coming down with me and he doesn't flyfish.

TIA

Lee

#4 ·
jimS said:
Not a plug, but live shrimp are deadly.
+1 they are the best thing to catch bones, but if you want to use lures, then go with one of the little jigs. Just make sure to use light line on the pole since casting those light jigs in the windy Caribbean is tough and you want as little line drag coming off the spool and through the guides as possible.

#5 ·
Thanks Vince; I should have thought of Captain Harry.

Like I said, I've never targeted bones with a spinning rod before. I've also never seen anyplace to get live shrimp where we fish. I usually see a few crabs when walking the flats but not enough that I want to spend the time looking for them.

I have used a spinning rod to cast for barracuda and catch lemon sharks. I've also trolled jigs with various plastic bodies for small grouper and jacks and such with some success-nothing amazing though. Any thoughts on good lures to use around a reef for grouper and jacks?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lures for Bonefish & Permit

consider these also:

the Cabelas saltwater wobble jigs:

#2: A stand up jig head with a 0ne inch grub tail or a same size Tube type skirt that imitates a fleeing shrimp when it's worked,, the jig heads are also good for using shrimp for bait

#3: SHRIMP & Crabs being the hardest bait to beat for Bones: so these are deadly too, the 2" D.O.A shrimp bait and the Berkley Gulp shrimp and peeler crabs that can be use with the Jig Heads,,

this is what we use the most and primarily when targeting bones on the spinn-rods, it works great for us and so for sure it should do the same for you

any further question, let us know please
regards
capt. RODMAN HUNTER

#9 ·
Hi Capt - welcome to the forum. As stated in the membership agreement you confirmed, it's not allowable to post commercial links. However if you'd like to become a sponsor you can link to your reports, website and promote your business on this site in return. Let me know if you're interested!

flatsslammer said:
consider these also:

the Cabelas saltwater wobble jigs:

#2: A stand up jig head with a 0ne inch grub tail or a same size Tube type skirt that imitates a fleeing shrimp when it's worked,, the jig heads are also good for using shrimp for bait

#3: SHRIMP & Crabs being the hardest bait to beat for Bones: so these are deadly too, the 2" D.O.A shrimp bait and the Berkley Gulp shrimp and peeler crabs that can be use with the Jig Heads,,

this is what we use the most and primarily when targeting bones on the spinn-rods, it works great for us and so for sure it should do the same for you

any further question, let us know please
regards
capt. RODMAN HUNTER

#10 ·
Juro, do any of your sponsors sell the items in question? If so, not one of them was kind enough to take the time to paste a link to where I could find them. This new member did on his second post to the board and your response is to ask whether he wants to become a sponsor himself? He posted links to the items at the Cabellas site, for petes sake, not anything related to him.

I hadn't had a chance to look at what he was suggesting and I was kind of curious to do so. And yes I know I can go to the site and search but that's a pita when someone went to the trouble to post the links for me. Should we also refrain from mentioning companies that don't sponsor here?

Lee

#11 ·
It's been this way since day one (10 years). Simple rule - no hyperlinks to commercial sites except for sponsors. OK so we're not halftime at the superbowl, but commercial promotion of any kind for non-sponsors is not allowed.

The site is free to members but the 25,000 or so members are not to be exploited by businesses who are not supporting the resource itself.

Consider this:
- the site is run not-for-profit with the help of sponsors
- sponsors are independent businesses who offer a high degree of personal service and value
- there is no value to sponsorship if anyone can promote themselves

Advertising is only $300 per year. That's less than 1/3 of a 10x10 booth for one weekend at a show, and a fraction of an ad in the back of a magazine.

100% of it goes to running the site, and with 2010 we will need to cover the new year.

Any further questions contact me directly.

Juro

#12 ·
just wanted to easy things!!!

finally had the time to come back to the board!! ufffffff tons of work here now!!

Hi Juro, 1st of all, i sincerely want to apologize if i cause any problems,
for sure it was not my intentions to do so, wasn't looking forward to breaking your rules,

this is what happend: just before i jumped into the board, i had just recently ended forwarding a list of items that i was getting short on to one of my clients that's coming to fish with me on Jan 17th., so it was easy for me to go back to that site and retrieve the info, and make things easier for Lee & lots of other members that could have had the same question in mind

if you say i broke the rules ok., it's your site!! but i never said anything regarding my bussiness, when i said , LET US KNOW, i was speaking for ones answering Lee's question and others that wanted to chime in, am not a CABE??? shop, i acquired things from them like i do from other shops, Including capt. Harry's, this shop is around the corner from my Dad's house in FL.,

am a full-time guide and know how valuable time is in some cases, specialy when fishing, you can't compare the time you have on a snapper than on a bonefish or Permit, i know how far i need to go when you need to help your crew, i know what it is to pole a skiff and have to cast at the same time to catch fish so your angler can have something to fight, be on the fly-bridge and have all the sailfish strike on your rods and hand them down to the clients,, for sure the angler's are paying to find them opportunities, not to take'am, but it's needed sometimes in order for them to have sucess, fight fish and have a great day

plus it's a difference if Lee would go fishing and nailed 5 bones compared to the other guy on the next boat that nailed 30!! how could it be if they were fishing the same areas??? simple, Lee went with just wiggle jigs, he could only fool 10 fish!! other guy had his arsenal loaded with jig, shrimps, crabs, grubs, skirts!!!! that's why he could fool more!!

all i want to do in this board is help people, just be a simple member and not a sponsor, not looking for more business, believe me, i have tons of it!!!
This is one of the reason most "Top Notch Guides & Capts." don't post, due to rules, people can learn from them in a thread, what they were gonna learn in a life time, save lots of money and valuable time's

thanks for offering your deal for me to promote here, but i already have 6 websites and 23 web names forward to my sites!!! all of them are prime hit's forth i have the .com's, but we can make an exchange, how about if i give you 6 ways to link from my sites for one of your's!, if it was giving to me i would take it blind folded!!!! Cancun receive's 60,000 tourist a week from all over the world, you can PM if you want and talk about it, looking forward to it

sincerely
your always friend
capt. RODMAN HUNTER

#14 ·
Hi Lee
Sorry for the lack of response.

I strayed to the dark side a couple of times a few years ago when bonefishing in the Keys.
The fish there are not easy and I confess that I have caught a couple using shrimp hooked onto a jig head.

There I have confessed. Please forgive my sins.

Pete

#15 ·
I would love to have my father use live shrimp but I don't remember seeing any baitshops on this island so I think artificials or the odd crab that walks along will be the game plan.

Personally, I have some secret flies that should do great. I'd love to tell you more about them but I wouldn't want my friend Charley to go Crazy to my Horror and say "Gotcha" . :)

#17 ·
A related question. Florida Keys bones are awfully educated and I was wondering if you soaked your fly in one of the popular shrimp like solutions, would it retain the smell and be more attractive to a wary bone. Not unlike chumming with your own fly. And, would someone using such a technique be less of a "fly fisherman".

#19 ·
Swalt said:
I took some crappie jig heads and tied them as you would gotchas for my brother to use on a trip. They worked well. Kinda light but good for wading and didn't hit the water has hard as the wiggle jigs.
This is a great solutions, I do it with striper/bluefish jigs too, but on big heads. You can't buy jigs like the ones you can tie yourself!

#20 ·
bobsold said:
A related question. Florida Keys bones are awfully educated and I was wondering if you soaked your fly in one of the popular shrimp like solutions, would it retain the smell and be more attractive to a wary bone. Not unlike chumming with your own fly. And, would someone using such a technique be less of a "fly fisherman".
Yeah that is what I would call "bait fly fishing". :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.