Fly Fishing Forum banner

A MUST READ! Ted William's Conservation column in March '02 "Fly Rod and Reel"

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
A MUST READ! Ted William's Conservation column in March '02 "Fly Rod and Reel"

Agree, disagree or abstain, for anyone interested in, concerned with, affected at all by East Coast striped bass (read, practially everyone I've met face-to-face on this board), Ted William's column in the March FR&R, entitled "Striper Recovery - Not" should be required reading.

While I'm not a biologist, nor do I profess to understand all the intricacies of fisheries management etc., William's articulates a lot of what I believe intuitively: namely, that the striper "recovery" is in name only, we're on the verge of yet another crash, and if we don't speak up now as recreational fisherman we've only ourselves to blame.

Ok,read & flame on...

#2 ·
I've been sitting on responding to this post for a couple of days wondering when someone would respond. Since no one has I'll jump into the fire.

I think that the article pretty accurately describes how stripers are currently managed by a hodge podge of regulations with competition between states, regions, and interest groups to assure that each gets 150% of their fair share.

Many things in the article will get a loud response. The mere notion of licensing salt water recreational anglers, never mind the assertion that it will increase the clout of the anglers, will be argued long and vociferously. Similar reactions await discussions of changing limits for charter boats, what size fish, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.