Fly Fishing Forum banner

Call me insane, How's about a summerrun fly swap?

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
Since all the swaps on the two "salmon" BB's are ending/ended, I thought about organizing a fly swap. I kknow, I'm insane, but I love the ideas you get and love the flies. So, damned the torpedoes, let's get soome feedback. Who wants one? If you're interested, say so on this thread. I'l collect all fly swappers from here.

Ok, I'm setting some rules on this one though. ALL flies MUST be the same, can be on diferent sized hooks but must be same patern/color. I'm setting the deadline out far enough that those interested can be involved, so only join if you plan to get flies in on a fairly decent schedule (couugh cough SPARKEY :) ). I'd prefer originaals, but if you primarily use standards then send in an old trusty fly.

So, who's game? I was thinking having a signup deadline of April 15th, and then havinn a deadline to have flies in of May 15th. What do you say???

#3 ·
I am in.

Count me in !!! looking forward to see what everyone else comes up with. Myself I think I will tie up my version of a pattern called "Black Magic." Looks very buggy and works great skated at any time for Steelhead and sea run cutts. May 15th, better get busy.

#5 ·
69??!!

Didn't you start this thread by stating "call me crazy . . . " last month (2.17.02). I said to count me in. I'm still in, but only if it's the same swap (I don't need 2 separate summer run fly swaps). Perhaps this is proof that you really are certifiable??

bill

#6 ·
Yup, straight jackets are on their way

Yeah, I started that post only to see who'd be interested. This is the actual sign up here. Hhey, I igured I could have some worse things wrong with me then meistering another swap. Now, if I were to call for a swap and tie up about 12 dozen flies and send them al to myself, THEN I'd be worried. It wouuld almost be as bad as leaving a Sage rod with a Hardy reel somewhere while Ii was fishing. :) :D

#11 ·
Jerry,

May 15th we will still be fishing late winter runs out here in Great lakes. Summer runs don't really start until late June except on a couple of zipperlip rivers if the weather and water conditions are right if you know what I mean.

Maybe the due date should be June 15th instead of May 15th.

Just in time for both PNW and Great lakes summer run early arrivals.

Just a thought

Hal

#12 ·
LOL Hal

I sset it up for Mmay 15th, snce I figured if sparkey iis involved thy flis wouuldn't go out until June 15th anyways. Some of the rivers I fish are already getting summerruns in by llaate May, so figured this way you'd definitely have them for sure by time the season hit.

#14 ·
Now Sean

They wouldn't be called zippers, now would they. :)

Just say iit this way, been stelheading snce it used to be ear around fiishing. Ii knnow a couple rivers west of the Ccascades (big enough hint? LOL) that I used to trout fish foor, aand have nailed summerruns. Will normaly hit those rivers first when season opens in June. THen work some of my normaal haaunts once later summer months hit.

#15 ·
Jerry,

Good strategy on the fly swap and you are holding strong on those zipper lips you have learned about over the years, as we have some of those also out here. Let the other guys go through the learning curve like we have, otherwise if you want to give out the information in a public forumn I can assure you there may be 40 cars there when you arrive, as has happened out here to some people that talk to much on the internet.

Then there are those people which give out false information trying to steer people in other directions. Better to say nothing.

Our rivers here are getting way to crowded like the PNW during the peaks of the salmon and steelhead runs. Twenty years ago I can remember going during the peak of the runs and when I walked or floated in to a section away from access points could maybe go all day seeing none or 1-2 other fisherman, those days are now over due to the guides and the drift boats, pontoons, etc which were imported here in the late 1980s. Pontoons just recently.

I am seriously thinking of going back to small stream trout fishing where I started as a FF, where I can again fish in peace most of the time. Have a mother lode of unfished spring creeks in great lakes area that are very accessible and peaceful.

Hal

#16 ·
Getting close

Ok, all you fly tiers out there. Time to sign up if you're interested. Will be closing this thing off not to soon after my OlyPen trip. Hal, will be trying out some of your flies for sure. But will have my try and true flies with me.

Well, hope I get into some chrome. I'll be more guide then fisherman, but will do my best while I'm there.

#17 ·
Good luck, may the steelhead gods be with you, a little luck always helps in steelhead fishing, especially in finding them and the last minute of the fight, thats when I seem to lose most of them, that last big head shake or jump has been many a sorrowful parting. Using 4 and 6 lb test leaders does not help my cause either, but that is what it takes out here. Dm zebra muzzles have made the water even cleaer the last few years !!!

#18 ·
Count me in; a Rogue River 'special' this time.

The fly 'de sur' (think I spelled that right?) will be the "Otis Bug." I'm going to jump on this one (in print) before Andy Zwan beats me to it.:devil:

From the earlier post is the 'target date' for these to you May 15th (June 15th for Sparky)?
:hehe:

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.