Fly Fishing Forum banner

uses for a t-130 line??

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  jero 
#1 ·
Firstly thank all you guys for the rod advice.

I´ve been searching for a sinking tip line for general trout use, rivers, lakes and streams (for a number 5 rod), mostly nymph fishing and sometimes streamers. I´m looking for a "jack of all trades" sinking tip. I´ve been offered a teeny t-130 line from a local fly shop.

Here´s what I think but I´d like some advice from you guys:

-I find the sinking part on those shooting head type lines way too long (I think is about 24 ft.) for my intentions. I don´t think I´ll be able to mend correctly or pull the line out of the water for casting (my grade as a caster is around "C-") but the shop owner says it ok, that shorter sink tips won´t serve me for my purpose.
I told him what about a 5-10 feet sinking tip, and according to him they are "an antiquity and nobody uses them anymore".
- I hear shooting tapers are prone to tangle up your leaders (wind knots, etc.). Considering I´m a regular caster, will this be a problem?
-I hear those tapers are difficult for nice presentations of the fly, that you have to be a "maestro" to do it right.
-I hear you have to be able to get a lot of line out to correctly "load" your rod for a nice shot.
-And last, I use lots of roll casts in streams and rivers due to the thorny vegetation. Can you roll cast a shooting taper??
-Would it be better to get something like a "Rio streamer line" or some other "nymph line" for my fishing preferences?? any recommendations??
thanks you
Jerónimo

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.