Fly Fishing Forum banner

The "Bring It On Squid" aka Kush's Kalamari

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kush 
#1 · (Edited)
Striblue,

You said bring on the "hoochie-squid" - so here it is...

I am clearly attachment challenged - see the image below (thanks Sparkey).

See less See more
#6 ·
Tyler... love them.. the white one is similar to the Popovic as well as Juro's usual squid pattern.. the rubber legs are perfect... Those will work... don't forget ,in July, it will be sand eel time, except ,as Hawkeye and Roopster know, those squid are great in the rips at any time... movement and action is key

#7 · (Edited)
Skirt material

John.

Any west coast salmon fisherman will recognize the skirt as a hoochie. These are, I am slightly embarrased to say, a common salmon trolling lure, they come in a wild array of colours and sizes - even glo in the dark. I was emboldened to use it in a "fly" by the use of plastics I saw in some of the patterns posted here - especially that last Popovic squid. This is fun, I will tie a number for my July visit and will also bring some packages of hoochies out to pass around to interested parties I run into.

#8 ·
Kush,
They look good. Tube flies? I don't see any hooks. Definitely will catch some fish...wouldn't be opposed to throwing those at some bigger offshore game. Hope I get to meet you while you're out here!

Nick

#10 ·
Nick,

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that they were tied on tubes. I converted to tubes last season for steelhead with tremendous results in hooking to landing ratios - so I figured why not.

#14 · (Edited)
Avid.

Yes, they are great hooks but a little hard to come by. I'm still using the original (and substantial) supply that Doublespey got us from Hunter's.

Dana,

I don't know about that - but... some legs from the glo-in-the-dark model might be interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.