Fly Fishing Forum banner

Informal Poll

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rich_simms 
#1 ·
Just a informal poll to see how many on the bb are "walking the talk" and taking advantage of the opportunity to supply your input to WDFW.

Please reply with your answer-
Who has sent in their WDFW rules proposal forms?
Who has sent them in and requested "Statewide Steelhead Release, No Exceptions?

#2 ·
I am just putting some finishing touches on my proposals. They include:

1) Statewide Wild Steelhead Release, Year Round, No Exceptions

2)Selective Fishery Regulations, Skykomish River, June 1st -Nov. 31st...I am thinking of how to word it so that fishing from a sled while under power is legal as I believe a compromise is the proper route to go in regards to this regulation.

3)Unlawful to remove wild steelhead from water in Wild Steelhead Release waters

4)Beckler River, Selective Fishery, Catch and Release

#5 ·
I used to fax-in option to get it there quickly and retain my original for my files. I opted to be contacted by email by WDFW in the future.

I proposed wild steelhead release without exceptions, statewide and year-round. I also included some thoughts I had on selective fishery during smolt season and also more efficient and less indiscriminate harvest methods for commercial and tribal fisheries.

Actually there wasn't enough room to really get into it but I hope the point was made.

Juro

BTW - let's all show our support to this cause! Rich, you're a worthy steward of wild steelhead; thank you.

#6 ·
Sent mine in awhile ago

I've been on the "mailing" list for years. Was "audited" on one of my punchcards back a long time ago and was asked if I wanted to be on a proposal mailing list (pre internet). I receive pamphlets from the WDFW several times a year on different things. Rec'd my reg change forms and current regs on the block awhile ago. I'm the type if I don't do right away, I forget about (I always have too many pots on the stove). But nice, I get to see all the reg changes before most (even before internet updates for next year). Alot more though to walking the walk then sending in a form. It's actually going to meetings. I've been to quite a few, but not all (have a family too, so balancing everything isn't always easy). Plus, with hunting regs, fishing regs, and quite a few other outdoor sports I'm very obsessed with, can only do so much and STILL spend time with the family doing what THEY want to do.

But I've done well more then my part walking the walk. Problem is, gets VERY tiring walking the walk with others trying to get piggy back rides complaining on how bad the state is and only following after all is said and done. But like anything else political. We need ALL the fisherman/women to be as ONE! Too many groups and too many agendas that split them up. Would be nice to see them all come together under Rich (but, I'd assume some would want to change WSC to more a neutral all salmonoid/trout species instead of just Steelhead). But if we had that power from all combining, would be awesome and could actually get something done. BUT, from hearing and reading the testimonies it will still be a stalemate for what we want. It's funny to see all these groups say "For" or "Against" on proposals. All fishermen/women, but all voting against each other. I guess that's my only beef with these groups (no offense to you Rich, have heard good things about WSC) is that they alienate each other. Spliting the groups FARTHER apart then pulling them closer together.

#8 ·
It's crunch time, please make sure to get your WDFW rules proposal in by July 18!

Be sure to ask for "Statewide release of all wild steelhead, year around, no exceptions"

We need to make sure it is included in this year's proposal and brought again to the commission hearings, let be loud and clear and that we are not going to let up. The next opportunity if it doesn't make it will be three years!

Here's a link to a printable proposal:http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regs/2004-2005prop.pdf

Thanks for your help!

#9 ·
Got Mine In

Thanks for the reminders Rich!

Sent in four proposals...
One concerning the Sauk River,
One concerning the Skagit River and
Two concerning statewide suggestions.

Each addresses conservation issues and I will be hoping for support from yourself and everyone else who values the future of wild steelhead when public comment becomes appropriate.

- Stewardship is realized beyond self-interest. -

G
#11 ·
My proposals:

1.) Continue exporting the remaining Boeing units to Chicago.

2.) Try organizing Micro$oft's workers thereby hastening their departure to, say, India.

3.) Deputize the girl scouts to give the enforcement unit a helping hand.

Bottom Line: Proposals mean jack when the enforcement eunuchs are incapable of any action.

4.) Close the donut factories and get our civil servants back to work.

a very disgruntled stakeholder

#13 ·
I would like to thank all who supported and sent in their WDFW Major Rules Cycle especially those who requested in the rules poposal "statewide release of all wild steelhead no exceptions" The next step will be to attend the Public Testimony in Port Townsend, WA in early December, more details to come in the months ahead!

PS: If your not involved, get involved, without wild steelhead there won't be Spey Claves unless you really do only enjoy casting :razz:

PSS: Now it's time to strip a little coho at Neah Bay, I'll let you know Leland how the beach popper does!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.