Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Tying Session - February 8th

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Redfisher 
#1 ·
I am scheduled for February 8 at Fishing The Cape at 6 pm. I will be doing "lost" striper flies. Those flies that are not being seen as much or at all since the trends have been to create new stuff all the time. Flies used by the Benson Brothers in the late 80's early 90's...A great fly the late Harry Koons tied which I use exclusively in the early 90's, and several other which you will not see in fly bins anymore but were work horses and extremely effective and simply disapeared for no other reason. An Al Brewster fly he gave me which he used all the time. This is a back to fundamentals and to keep these flies to be not forgotten. Some of them were in fly bins in the 80's and 90's. I will have good jokes too. It would be nice to see some guys on here whom I have not met personally. Anyway...you should come just to see Pete Gray standing in the back of the room using Binoculars

#3 ·
John, you will be posting pictures of the finished products, won't you? I am sure that many of us here have never seen some of the '70's, '80's old standby's. It will be interesting to see how they compare with today's popular choices. Wish I didn't live 450 miles away.

Pete 'PopnesetBay' Readel

#7 ·
If You want to check on the store you should Google it. They are not sponsors here and under our rules I should not mention it and it is a fair policy ( Location where I am tying as with other tyers in their sessions is ok,but certain highlightling and information would not be fair to our current sponsors) which I inadvertantly violated. I am in contact with Juro to get them in here in the future.

#8 ·
striblue said:
Pete, I had not planned on that...and the time frame on the tying is about 2 hours. I will certainly try and if I can not get pics I will have names and recipies.
John I'll take the photos for you if you'd like.I supply the table and lights anyway so I'll bring my Nikon.The only problem with taking the photos is they will be some of the process and the finished product.It's a distraction to the others attending to be constantly "shootin up the place".I'm also trying to get Pete in the hot seat instead of the "peanut gallery".

#9 · (Edited)
Salt, that's great and thanks... I expect to only have time for 4 or 5 flies, but they are simple ties since they are older ones and very basic...I want to do a Harry Koon's rat's arse, A Bob Benson sand eel which were in a big bin back when Bob ran the store and used them guiding, a secret sand eel fly going back to the days when corsaire was first used..it's a sand eel... and a Juro deep eel ( Not considered an older fly but should be in this mix, and inspired by Bob Bianchi, I say this because Juro would insist . and not like me saying Juro's deep eel...but i said it anyway). Finish it off with a shrimp fly that I have used on the flats which is all I would use apart from a Popovics candy shrimp. That shimp was introduced to me by Dave Pearson when he was guiding, who got it from Jim Bender, atleast 12 years ago....so that is a relatively new one....but deadly and easy to tie. I showed it to Dick Brown who looked at it closely some years back and though it might also be perfect for Bonefish, perhaps in a different color than the color we would use on the flats here...it's green...forest green. Looking forward to seeing you and I will be speaking with Pete about his attendance. It would be great if the people who show up can add with their experience with older flies that we no longer see. I was thinking of doing a Gibbs Striper fly but if time permits I would do a Papy's Special instead, used by Gibbs, but this one tied by Al Brewster , who slipped me one several years back when I stopped by his home.

#10 ·
Salt,Striblu, I for one would love to see the finished fly photo as a minimum. I can always pester Striblu for the recipe. Would be nice if Pete Gray was in attendance also as a picture of him at the bench would be enjoyed by many. John will you be the only one tying? Wish it was not 450 miles away. Thanks again for offering to take the pics and agreeing to have them photo'd.

Pete "PopnestBay" Readel

#11 ·
They have one tyer at each session...so at the worst if Pete can't tie at this one he we will get him to do his own with that Bug Bond stuff, etc. I think Salt maybe right... we can always take pics of the finished flies without the camera hovering over the vise.... what is more meaningful would be just the finished fly and not me at the bench, etc. etc....just a close up of the finished fly....just my take on it.

#15 · (Edited)
Some of the Classic flies I brought as a display...Below the Brooks is three Original Borski bonefish flies. Then the four flies tied...Bender Shrimp fly, Benson sand eel, Koons Rats arse, and no name 1980's sand eel. Not pictured is Juro deep eel....which was the last tied and not in that pic at the time. Great seeing everyone and lots of fun especially looking to the back of the room and seeing one guy with some huge binoculars. Guess who? Thanks to Bob Mahoney (saltfly) for the pics, who helped me out with the Flyfishing school and a great Orvis shore guide. Spoke with Chris about the sponsorship and will discus with Juro...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.