Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Nova" Lox

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wrke 
#1 ·
I recently had the extreme pleasure of trying some "Nova" Lox, man, I think I am hooked. Anybody have a recipe?

#2 ·
Boy this is a tough one... cold smoking takes days and the heat has to be separated from the smoke with a cooling tube. The cure is usually a guarded secret of the cook but generally salt and sugar.

The most complete description I've seen is in McClane's Standard Fishing Encyclopedia.

Hot smoking is quite delicious as well, and all you do is plug the smoker into an outside 115volt outlet.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Poor/ Lazy Man's:

Technically more of a Gravi lox (sp?)

I think it was equal parts sugar and salt (like a cup or two of each) with enough peppar to taste. Take that "rub" and cover flesh side of two salmon fillets liberally. Then layer a bunch of dill on one of the fillets and stack teh second fillet on top. Its should be skin flesh sugar salt dill sugar salt flesh skin. Wrap loosely in plastic and put it in a baking dish. Then put another dish on top and apply weight. I use pineapple juice cans cause i love mixing them with Mount Gay afterwards... Put this whole apparatus in the fridge for a day. Next day basically flip the salmon packet over and drain off excess fluid that has emerged. Continue rotating for around 4 days, you're basically pressing and drawing the water out while curing it with the salt. Check it in 4 days, it should be firm to the touch. Slice thin and eat on crackers, bagels, whatever. Good stuff!

#6 ·
If you can get a large cardboard box that refrigerators come in, you can place one of the small hot smokers (little chief, etc) inside one. On a cool day, you can hang the salmon inside the box near the top . . . watch the temperature inside the box and make sure it doesn't exceed 95 - 100 degrees and you have a cold smoker.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.