Fly Fishing Forum banner

3 piece vs. 5 piece

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  clyde olson 
#1 ·
I am purchasing a new Sage 9' 8 weight RPLXi fly rod for redfish and bonefish and I can get it in the 3 piece or the 5 piece. My question is this: Is there any downside to the 5 piece rod?

Thanks for the info.

#2 ·
It takes longer...

...to put a 5 piece together! :rolleyes:

But it's easier to "carry-on" when you fly or you can put it in a checked suitcase...:cool:

I've got 3's and 5's and like them both...but tend to save the 5's for travel...

#7 ·
I really like 4's...when you want they can stay as 2's, but for traveling, they get down in size enough for most airlines.

Nick

#9 ·
Except for a fews months after 9/11, in the last 15 years of my fly fishing travels out of savannah to the west and PNW rarely had trouble taking my rods on the plane(with tubes in a canvas rod case with the reels) and stowing above my seat. Great comfort to me there! I own one 5peice 5wt and it certainly travels well, but in my experience the travel-readiness of the 4/5 piece rods is over-blown.

#10 ·
Hey, Clyde....

One of these days you will be unpleasantly surprised when you change airlines part way through your trip, and you are "informed" (or threatened) that you have to send your longer rods to the baggage handling trained gorillas.

That's when the convenience of a multi-piece rod makes it all worthwhile!

BobK:rolleyes:

#11 ·
I used to waltz on board with six three piece rods and a smile. Ask nice, and it was no problem to keep a couple of two piece rods in the tall coat closet. Not so easy any more.
At this point the real issue is the # of bags you can travel with and carry on. One bag (up to the size of a roll a board) and one personal item (laptop, camera bag, purse). Interpretations and enforcement are inconsistant.
Being told that niether your rod tube nor the small back pack (or soft tackle bag) are considered personal items can be a problem if your three piece rod won't fit into either of your two checked bags. Extra bagage charges and steam will ensue! Now how did that guy get the guitar in the over head:confused:
I have done quite a bit of flying with fishing gear, and you have to be organized and creative. I bring along duct tape so I can combine bags if things get crossed up. Lucky doesn't work any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.