Fly Fishing Forum banner

High Quality Fly Rod Components?

6K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  blindcurvw 
#1 ·
Starting to do more saltwater fly fishing so want to upgrade my slower TFO 9' 4pc 8WT for a much better Sage XI2 9' 4pc 8WT.

Any recommendations for a high quality reel seat to match the blank? I've considered Batson, Strubel, Pacific Bay, Forecast and REC so far...

Thanks

#27 ·
Thanks for the feedback and original inspiration...

I'm a tough self critic (Being an engineer is a curse) and not very happy w/ finish on wraps. Base layer of flexcoat was applied too cold which allowed many wraps to set w/ a ripple (barely noticeable in this pic), a two or three bubbles. I know better but was forced into the basement during this step due to poor planning. :mad: Additional coats helped smooth almost all variation out. :)

I was wondering about wrapping the female ferrule and thought hard and decided a little bit would go a long way... Now you got me concerned. :confused: :Eyecrazy:

Easy enough to strip/re-wrap/finish 2nd section, third section wrapped fully don't need to do anything there, tip section is fully epoxied over decorative wrap. Not much I can think to do on tip section, hope the epoxy finish helps.

Took it for a test drive Sunday evening but Pike weren't cooperating. No problem as I was perfectly content to just cast... Wow, impressive how easy it is to make some booming casts w/ that rod. Will try to get some action on it again Thursday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.