Fly Fishing Forum banner

magazine recommendations

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  pcknshvl 
#1 ·
Hey, just wondering if anybody can give me a recommendation on a good magazine to get. It doesn't have to be fly-fishing specific.

#2 ·
Well, I'll be flyfishing specific.

I subscribe to American Angler, Fly Tyer, and Saltwater Flyfishing. Of the three, I probably get the most out of Fly Tyer and the least out of American Angler. But they all have their own good qualities.

I really miss Warmwater Flyfishing. I've bumped into John Likakis a few times since the magazine stopped publication, and I get the feeling that he misses it too.

#3 ·
Dble Haul said:
I subscribe to American Angler, Fly Tyer, and Saltwater Flyfishing.
I've been trying an issue of just about anything fly fishing related that I can find and these are by far my favorite three. IIRC they are all put out by the same company.

I also like an occasional Scientific American, Fine Woodworking, Fine Homebuilding or Golf Digest depending on mood.

#7 ·
If you're more interested in information than prose and glossy photos then you might consider The Fisherman, a weekly publication with regional editions. It's not specifically for fly fishing but has fishing reports, tide tables and plenty of "how-to" and "where-to" articles. It's more "newspaper" than "magazine" but it is packed with local information.

Q

#8 ·
Interesting question since I no longer subscribe to any. Before the internet the mags were the only source of information and the opportuntiy to live vicariously through the exploits of globe-trotting photo-journalists was the only way to survive the long closed-seasons.

These days I get more than enough from an informational point of view from the forum and other web based fly-fishing communities.

The last half dozen copies of Flyfishing in Saltwaters that came through the mail never got more than a quick scan. One that I haven't tried but will this year is the Yale Anglers Journal. I enjoy good writing but sadly there's not much of it in the regular periodicals.

#9 ·
I bought a subscription to Fly Fish America a few weeks ago and have yet to get my first issue. I bought it on a whim before I realized they publish all their back issues on the internet for free! I picked up a copy of Eastern Fly Fishing in Barnes and Noble the other day and it looked pretty interesting, but it was pricey. Anybody have a subscription to that one?

Adrian said:
These days I get more than enough from an informational point of view from the forum and other web based fly-fishing communities.
The main reason I really like having a magazine is that it's really tough to surf the internet while you're sitting on the john... :)

#11 ·
teflon_jones said:
I picked up a copy of Eastern Fly Fishing in Barnes and Noble the other day and it looked pretty interesting, but it was pricey. Anybody have a subscription to that one?
teflon_jones said:
I recieve Northwest Fly Fishing--same publisher as Eastern Fly Fishing. I like it a lot, though it does tend have really great articles about areas that don't need that much attention.

I also recommend Fly Fishing and Tying Journal. Broad-ranging, interesting, with regional information. This is a Frank Amato pub.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.