Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chopping up my new S.A line

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  loco_alto 
#1 ·
Hi All.
I got a new reel from Santa, it came loaded with a Scientific Anglers 10/11 floater. Up to now I have always fished either floaters, intermediates or sinkers, never the three should meet.

Now having listened to your ideas I intend to start choping up this line and fishing sunk tips.

Now bear in mind this line costs $80 in the Uk. What length do I chop off the front ? Buppa ? seems to suggest 17ft in another thread.

What taper should I buy to make the tips, Wf or Dt.

I think WF but I wecome your advice. Scissors to the ready

Malcolm

#2 ·
Hello Willie,
You would be best served by leaving some of the front taper, I would suggest cutting at 12-14ft and if you are at liberty to choose between wf or dt, I would go with a t/t sinking line and just match up the cut end of your sa to where a match is with the t/t.(heavy end) I hope this makes sense.

#4 ·
wulf triangle taper =t/t You would do the same for a wf or dt just match up the diams. but the heavier of a tip that you want, the more you must cut off of the taper of the sa line. But by leaving some of the taper you will have a smoother casting line and the triangle taper would enhance that even further.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Thank you chaps,
I had changed price to US dollars to make life easy.
We work £ sterling as we are outside euro land.

I was just intending making the tips as in part one of the article, part two looks to complicated and I think I would be better with a cheap line.

Must check new sites , thanks again

Malcolm

#10 ·
Malcom,

If you haven't already taken the drastic step on the chopping block, there is an alternative that leaves your line intact. Over the past two seasons Dana and I have been experimenting with "poly-leaders" made by Loop and Airflo (and a number others just recently on the market). These are mono core leaders covered with tungsten to provide the weight, they come looped and I think they are the cat's ass! I attached a heavy butt section to my fly line and tie a loop 3-4" down, to which I loop the poly-leader and add a 4' section of tippet. Now the regular front taper turns over even the poly-leader and it sinks like mad due to its thin profile. They come in every sink rate from Hover to type VI. I can hit bottom in any water I would normally expect to catch a steelhead in with standard tips and the true bonus it is casts like a regular floater, but gets down like a tip! We have not used the standard sink tip since we started experimenting. These are very cool.

#11 ·
Similar stuff to Kush

I also use the super fast sinking short leaders fro Airflo off the end of a 7-8 midspay. Sinks like a rock and very quick to pop back to the surface for your next cast.

Think the short nature of these things (like 4' long) precludes having to do the surface roll cast frequently necessary with a 15 foot heavy tip.
fe

#12 ·
Hi
I've been using these for a couple of seasons now but I don't think they get down enough. Also the river flow is quicker at the top so a long floater tends to come round quicker. This is on of the reasons I fish a full sinker, but I am willing to try one of your long sink tips to see how it compares with an intermediate.

Cheers
Malcolm

PS 1st fish from the Tay today opening day.

#16 ·
My God! An honest Dentist? "This is not going to hurt a bit."

Wow, Malcom you dropped the ball on this one. "Your" fish could have been any size, type, light tippets, etc. and you 'opt' for honesty.

We must speak... in private .... this is a fly fishing board .... there are certain expectations... even better if they can't be verified. :hehe:

#17 ·
WG,

not sure if you've done the cutting yet, but the cut point can be determined by the weight of tips you expect to use. FIguring that the floater portion will easily turnover tips of equivalent or lesser weight, I just cut at the equivalent diameter of a floater. For example, when desiring to toss 8 weight tips on a tapered floating line, I'll cut the floater at a diameter equivalent to a floater 8 weight. THis provides enough ooomph to turn over the 8 weight tips.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.