Fly Fishing Forum banner

It's Official!

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  i'm so outta here 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Yep, It's official the club gave me the hall Saturday January 27th. I figure a 9-3 time slot should suffice.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
OUCH! Al - Happy Birthday to your young angler, but it's unfortunate that you can't attend.

Sully - Thanks for the announcement, I'll be emailing you re: plans.

I'm glad the date falls after the show, people will have lots of materials.

I'll make sure the swap deadline falls after this clave in case anyone wants to put what they learn to use in the swap.

Potluck sounds like a great plan!

#6 ·
Al,

Thanks for setting up the SIGN UP. Geez, I was hoping for you to Co-meister. But I'm happier that your priorities are straight. A friend once told me to enjoy your children while they are young, because it's the only chance you get. I can tell you first hand he wasn't lying.

Back to business. I will try and put up a map and written directions shortly for this event in the sign up space.

I'm hoping that we can make this tying clave a little larger than last year. Only the hard cores showed and you know who you are.

What I mean is that I would be open to having representatives from CCA, TU and UTF show up. They could have tables for membership set up free of charge for recruitment of new members. Stuff like that.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

#10 ·
Ssully,
No offense taken....I saw the little smiley guy...just "checking your pulse"!
Like I said in my email....the oldest has a basketball game in Beverly @11:30. That's right in the middle of tying...AND at lunchtime!!
I know that I had earlier offered up a crockpot of chili...but I wouldn't want to drop something off that someone else would have to clean up....not to mention the wife "having a stroke" wondering when her stuff would get returned.
We'll see how things unfold as we get closer to the clave date.
Doug

#12 ·
Mike -

Probably the best thing to do is just show up... but bring a pad and pen for notes. You'll leave with a good idea of what is a basic setup. Of course folks will offer variations on the theme, but that's up to you to decide the way to go!

In any case, there will be plenty to judge from.

Juro

#14 ·
Tinman, a good pair of fly tying scissors is a must, a ceramic bobbin, bodkin, matarelli whip finisher, head cement(or hard as nails fingernail polish), and either danville's flat waxed nylon thread or mono(lavalace in fine(not extra-fine) and you'll need a vice. don't get a real cheapo though, usually they frustrate you , and can turn you off to a fun hobby.if I can't make it to the clave, I'll ask John Morin to bring a vice I lent him. it is a good quality vice(regal) so you can tie with that for a while. you may decide it is the way to go, or go to a rotary vice. but this way you won't waste you money on something that is going to frustrate you. as for the materials, I'll be glad to share, and assume most people would, hope to see you there. Tom D

#16 ·
KUDOS...

I am going to suggest something you may or may not decide to do, but it seems appropriate:

I am going to bring two boxes - one for Sully, one for Al Deluca. The first two flies I tie will go into these boxes. At the end of the clave, we would have done a small part to say thank you to these guys for breaking the winter doldrums.

Please consider it.

thanks,

Juro

G
#20 ·
Guys, thanks, but (speaking for myself) it's really not necessary. I'm glad to contribute my computer skills. I only wish I had fishing skills to match. I've come a long way in that regard due in large part to the knowledge and experience of all of you, so I am already compensated ten fold. Please hold a raffle and donate the proceeds to the Forum!

#22 ·
hey SSully, can you post directions? if you have, I've missed it. also, do we have any kind of a theme, or general direction for the kind of flies we'll tie? what I mean by this is: do you guys that are new have a preference as to what you'd like to learn to tie??? clousers, deceivers, polarfibre, bunnies??? the same basic steps are used for most flies, so why not tie the type you'd like in your flybox? Tom D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.