Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dee style salmon fly

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian Simonseth 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been experimenting with Dee style flies this winter. I try not to get too bound to exact rules for my flytying and the wing on this fly is a mix of a traditional Dee wing and Spey wing. The wing is tied as a roof with about 45 degrees angle and about a quarter inch between each wing part above the butt (this is not so easy to see on the picture). At the tail the wing are closing together again, I feel this give the wing a tasty shape.
Also notice the body hackel with both blue hackel and grey heron.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I often marvel at the stuff that people come up with for saltwater fishing; Striblue's creations are a great example. And freshwater has some really neat patterns, such as those by Stalcup. Salmon and steelhead flies, though, are by far my favorite to look at, and this pattern is a good reason for that; very well done. Perhaps one day I'll tie some that are half as good! But while the stripers are coming, I'm afraid I'm at the bench tying bunker patterns! :devil:

Very nice fly!

#9 ·
Very nice work.....

I attempted to send you an e-mail, but you have chosen to block this method of communication.
Therefore: my question for all to see: please tell what camera you used. I am just getting started in the photo end, and am looking at all the choices out there, with the results they yield.
Thanks. Ken D

#10 · (Edited)
Hello Ken_D

I used a Nikon Coolpix 990 for these pictures. I was amazed myself with the quality I got from this camera at such pictures. Earlier I have used my analog SLR for fly photos, but the ability to take a whole bunch of pictures with the digital camera and choose the best one is more important for me than the flexibility of the SLR. However the last pictures I have taken was with a borrowed EOS 300D and this is the best solution I have tried for flies to this time. But at the price of two spey rods, I prefer the rods...

For these flies I used the built in blitz, but you may also use the daylight, which will give less shadows on the fly.

The most important with fly photos is to use a tripod. I also use the timer on the camera to prevent any vibrations while clicking.

I'm a completely amateur on photo, so I guess someone else on this forum could give you a better answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.